Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Too much tu-tu



I tapped before I went to bed last night so it was late when I turned in.  I woke up at 9:30 with the thought that now I can devote my full time and attention to finishing the tu-tus.  But of course I had to read my e-mail, and the normal morning line-up.  And the sunshine outside was so inviting.  I did lay out the blue netting to be cut on the dining room table.  But even with the lights on, and a 200 watt lamp and the HappyLight, I still had trouble seeing the layers of netting because they are so sheer.  After exercising, I took a shower.  I noticed that the cut on my pinky finger (which was fine all night) kept bumping into things while doing normal activities around the house.  Breakfast was late, and then I went outside to rake leaves and listen to an audio on the tablet.  When I came in, I devoted my full attention to the tu-tus.  I finished cutting out the blue tulle.  I hand-basted the layers together.  Downstairs, I sewed the ends together and machine-gathered it.  I put gathering stitches in the blue sparkly circle.  I did the same for the silver lame.  I serged the silver lame, but it did not turn out any better than the gold lame did.  I took a break to cut up a sweet potato and melt some coconut oil.  I pinned and stitched the lame and gathered white tulle to the silver band.  I started pinning the blue, but there wasn’t time to finish.  I poured the oil on the potato and ate it.  Then I gathered all the tu-tus and left for church.  I kept chanting “Calmly, quietly, quickly” so I could relax and not be late.  When I got there, April was there with the tu-tu she had made.  But the tulle was not fluffy like the others.  She had to leave for work.  Inside, practice had started.  I examined her tu-tu and surmised that I had not properly explained to her how to sew the six circles into 3 layers.  There wasn’t much gathering so it did not fluff.  During practice, I finished the blue tu-tu.  The girl who was supposed to wear it did not come.  Then I gathered up one of the layers of tulle under the new tu-tu, like a bubble skirt, to help  it fluff.  When practice was over, Jennifer and I went through the costumes to make sure we had everything we needed, and we did.  I promised to add volume to the new tu-tu.  She gave me a pointsettia, and I just love pointsettias.  When I got home, Chris was ready to watch TV.  But I wanted to give a gift to the nice neighbor next door.  I wrapped up a bread wreath and took it over. I rang the doorbell and knocked, but no one answered.  I guess he put the lights on and left.  Chris and I watched one episode of Bones, and he went to bed.  He is not feeling well.  I will put hydrogen peroxide in my ears to ward off whatever he’s got.
*  This is Jen's quilt from show-n-tell last night.  I think she called it Quilt on Crack.  *

No comments: