Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day is no walk in the park

I got up at 7:45. I got Mom dressed in her bathroom, rolled her out to den, and fixed her hair while Dad got her pills ready. I fed her Ensure and water with pills. She watched TV while I took a shower and got dressed. Then I ate a pre-made breakfast from yesterday. I threw out the rest of the expired food to make room to roll the wheelchair through the utility room. I started packing up my stuff, but was not able to finish before Dad took Mom out to the car. I put her in the car while he locked the house doors. Then I drove us to church. We were actually early. I put Mom in her wheelchair and Dad rolled her into the church. He went down to warm up with the choir and I put Mom in a pew and folded the wheelchair into the foyer. Faye joined us in the pew. During the service I watched Dad struggle to stay awake up in the choir. After the service, I fed Mom in the multipurpose room while Faye and Dad went for subs. Floyd put acupuncture needles in Mom's ears. He did the same thing to a teenager sitting near Mom. When Faye returned, she gave me a salad. She and I ate our lunches, but Dad said he was not hungry. I was thinking “Who are you, and what have you done with my father?” Then we drove to the mall. Dad ate his sub there while Faye and I pushed Mom around the inside. After 4 rounds, Faye took her to the bathroom and changed her. After 2 more rounds it was time for the walker. I went to the car to get it and found Dad just waking up from a nap. He tucked some crackers in his pocket and carried the walker into the mall. We went to a seldom-used entrance. Faye helped Mom with the walker, and stretched each of her legs. Then I called the Damours to say we were on our way. We put Mom in the car. I said goodbye to Faye, and drove us home. I got Mom into her wheelchair and into the house. I finished packing. Alfred came in the back door. He must have rung the front doorbell and gotten no answer. After awhile, Cecily came in, too. We talked about harnesses for wheelchairs. We got all my stuff loaded in their car. They (and I) drove about a block away when I realized that I had left my blue bag. So we went back for it. Then we drove to Chester and unloaded my stuff. We talked for just a little while and then went to Outback for supper. I got the crabmeat and tilapia. It was very salty. Cecily gave me her sweet potato. The topic of conversation was what Mom's doctor needed to know to order skilled home health care for Mom at home. When we got back, Al showed me pictures of Marie's new house. Cecily talked about how easy it was to fly from here to Huntsville and back. I called Portia to see if I could catch a ride with her husband, but he was already on his way back to Huntsville. Then Cecily wanted to see my tablet because she was thinking about getting one. I showed her 2048, Skype, GPS, e-mail, Kindle app, piano app, camera, etc. Then she and Al went to bed and I stayed up to post to my blog.

No comments: