Thursday, September 11, 2014

Making half of a Christmas ornament

I awoke with the alarm. I fired up the router and my computer. I was skimming through e-mail when I came across an article decrying the Ice Bucket challenge and how it doesn't do what it is supposed to do in raising awareness of ALS. In reading the article, I followed a link to a 60 Minutes broadcast about companies patenting human genes such that other companies cannot do research on them without their permission. That was followed by another program on an English stockbroker who saved 600 Jewish children by getting them out of Germany. He is now 105 and there are 15000 people alive now that wouldn't have been if those 600 hadn't gotten out. I had to stop the video before it brought on yet another story. I suddenly remembered that it was recycle day, so I put them in bags and ran the tub out to the curb. On the way back, I watered things close to the patio. I put on an audio about patient involvement while I exercised, juiced, and made breakfast. I tried to finish a video called “Watch Four Corners: Patently a Problem”. It was about company that patented 'junk' DNA and now is charging outrageous prices for permits to do research.
When it was over, I went to Stitch-its. It was a small group today and they had just finished watching a demonstration of how to make prairie point Christmas ornaments. Charmaine showed me how and gave me a kit. She had a bunch of kits made up. Then she left and Pat sat with me as I tried to make one. She made sure I did not deviate from the instructions. Charmaine had left some pins, which was good since the project is very pin-tensive. Ha, ha. I got about halfway done when the pins ran out. The group was breaking up anyway, so I put the project in my box and went to the bank. I got cash to give to church to save on checks. When I got home, it was raining. I quickly grabbed the recycle bin and held it over my head while I got the mail. Then I went in to get an umbrella. I put my sewing stuff back in the house and got out my collection tubs. But by then the rain had backed off and soon petered out. I read e-mail, and opened the mail. One letter was from my dad, looking for advice which he thinks is easily found on the internet. Ha, ha. I looked it up here and there, called him to tell him what I found, and then reminded him that the advice was worth every cent he paid for it. He accepted that. We talked on for awhile, and then we each had other things to do. I made an eye doctor appointment for Chris. I opened and consumed the contents of a coconut. I watched several short videos on EMF, and RF from routers, laptops and cell phones. I pulled the plug on my laptop and let it run on the battery. I pulled weeds and grass at the edges of the driveway. I meditated and then considered what needed doing the most. I opened up my laptop and there was a skype message from Kurt. Then I sat back and watched an X-files episode on my laptop. When it was over, I sat in the dark and listened to an audio on keeping memory and avoiding alzheimers in old age. Dad called to ask me to look up some forms and e-mail them to him. Chris skyped while I was still talking to him. Skype crashed. Chris called back. We talked for less than half an hour. Then he went to bed and I got to finish my audio – in the dark.

No comments: