Saturday, September 20, 2014

Unusual food

I found a splinter in my foot after I blogged. I dug at it with a needle, but could not get it out. Before shutting down my computer, I completed an Amazon order for a kindle version of John Grey's book. Then I had to boot up my tablet to see if it transferred, and could not tell because what appeared was a page from a previous kindle book I was reading and I did not know how to get out of it so that I could get back in at the same page. I dressed for bed and went out to the tent. Thankfully I brought the mp3 headphones. The wind rustled the tarp loudly and often. I had to get up to secure it with twine so that I would not have to worry about it flying off in the middle of the night. Then I turned on the headphones and tried to sleep. I guess sleep was looking for me in the house because it had a hard time finding me in the tent.
I woke up at 7:30 and unwound the twine so I could get out of the tent. I went in the house to lay down until 8. I stayed in bed a little longer and then turned on the router and my laptop. I cleared e-mail while swishing to detox. Jennifer had e-mailed me which songs she wants to do in church tomorrow. So I spent longer than I wanted trying to make a workable part out of the more familiar of the two songs. I wish I hadn't said I would do it.
I unstacked the dishwasher. I washed 2 beef kidneys a lot, and then boiled then in a pot. I hadn't done this in over 20 years and hoped the results would be better this time. I also washed and oiled 3 sweet potatoes, and put them in the oven. I listened to a David Wolfe video on colors in food while I juiced and made breakfast. I ate breakfast while reading e-mail. There was a short video from FoodGrowingPeople – they said that when bugs eat on your plants, that increases the nutrition. Interesting thought. Then I heard an audio on fermented foods, vs yeast overgrowth. I laid out in the sun for 20 minutes. I clipped the tarp to the tent in a way so as to encourage air flow. There was more e-mail to read. I separated the laundry into two loads, and took them to the basement. While the washer ran, I worked on a backing for a quilt. Same for the dryer. There was some fabric in the wash, so when it came out, I ironed it dry. I came upstairs to look for a picture of a quilt top and got sidetracked reading e-mail. I ate some of the sweet potatoes that I baked. One was a Korean sweet potato and it was purple in the middle, and very sweet.  I had some beef kidney too, and it was much better than last time.  I played videos from marsvenus.com. I looked up Faraday cages and learned about the threat of an EMP. People are building faraday cages for their short wave radios and other electronics in case an EMP wipes out the electrical grid. Then I watched the two remaining X-Files episodes on the DVD. I went back to checking e-mail and soon Michele skyped me. When Chris was able, he joined us. We had a three-way chat. Michele told me that I should feel free to tell people that I am busy when they ask me to do stuff I don't want to do. That conversation ended after 11:30, so now I really must get to bed.
*  This is Elaine's quilt from show-n-tell  *

No comments: