Sunday, September 7, 2014

Rally Day

I woke up just before 7, much to my surprise. I took a shower and went through my closet looking for something casual but not too casual for an outdoor service. I settled on my white reception dress. The elastic around the top has stretched out over the years (it'll be 24 next month), so I got a needle and thread to sew it to my bra straps. I did some tapping for having a fun and relaxed day. I made and ate breakfast while reading e-mail. When I took my supplements, I decided to check the fermenting cabbage jars. I saw mold on two of them. I scraped it off, and pushed the cabbage under the juice. But then I was late. I grabbed my music, instrument and stand, and went to church. We (the praise band) practiced outside under the tent. Between the large fans and the wind, our music kept blowing away. After praise band practice, I practiced with the choir. Then I ran out to the car to get the quilt I am donating to the church to raise money for the intern fund. On the way out, I saw Shannon who moved away in January. When I got back from handing off the quilt, it was time to play for the prelude. My trombone was in place on its stand, so once I got the music clipped to the stand, we were ready. It went passingly well. Then the service started. The choir sang early in the service, which was good. Jennifer introduced me to her husband who goes to a different church. After the service, I packed up my trombone. I followed Jeanne out to her car. She had made a dove to put on the pulpit cloth that I had made. We took it to the sanctuary to hold up in place and discuss binding and hanging. She left it with me to bind. Then I went outside to find out about the game I was supposed to run. I was given a verbal set of rules, and a handful of tickets. I grabbed a chair to sit on under the umbrella that was provided. The intern and a little boy were playing the bean bag game. I gave them each a ticket even though neither got a bean bag through the hole. Personally I thought the forms were too far apart. Two other boys came to play. I gave them tickets just for getting close. Really, the point of the game was to hand out tickets which could be redeemed for prizes. So I found reasons to give them. Mostly I sat there with little to do. Shannon came over and we got to catch up. She might be staying in the area for awhile! When my shift was up, I headed home to change (the remaining elastic in my dress was losing its strength in the heat and sweat) and to get a fresh camera battery, and to pick up a piece of acrylic to hold my music on the stand. I had been told that we (the praise band) were playing at 1. But Jen called me on my way home to say they were ready and where was I. So I rushed to complete the task and get back. By then, Jennifer the choir director was singing John Denver songs and playing guitar. She was done about 1, but then the bingo started. So I went to the food table and made a salad from the hamburger fixings. Then Jennifer and her husband came over with a small plate of something Turkish that he had made. It was a thank you gift because I had sponsored him in a charity run in Canada. It was quite good. I ate about 1/3rd. Then the praise band was ready. Having the acrylic sheet over the music helped SO much. The three songs went well. And then I was done. It took me two trips to carry everything out to the car. Then I went to Publix for a few groceries. When I got home, I threw the veggies in the fridge and ate the rest of the Turkish food. Then I rolled my sewing stuff out to the car and drove to the church on the corner where the ladies were making Linus quilts. There weren't any spots near the wall to set up, but Bertha said she was done sewing and I could use her machine while she pressed and cut. I worked on the blue quilt pattern presented back in July. I got to pick fabric scraps out of the trash. The ladies wanted to know what I did with the scraps so I told them about the scrap rugs. One lady was particularly interested so I invited her to follow me home. She had come with someone else, so they both came to my house to see my fabric collection and the rugs. We had a great time discussing fabric and other cultures and so forth. They hated to leave, but had a long ways home. I needed to mow, which I did after eating some cherry tomatoes. Then afterward I ate a sweet potato and the rest of breakfast that I left to mix with fiber powder and coconut milk later. I brought up some tennis balls to rest my head on, sort of like a product called the Still Point Inducer. I listened to an audio and wrote notes to my blog. I looked up Canadian recipes and did not find anything useful for an after-church function. Chris came online and Skyped me. After more than an hour, we hung up. He went to bed, and I continued my search for Canadian recipes.

No comments: