Friday, January 22, 2016

A good start

I got up a little after the alarm went off. I swished, and exercised, read e-mail and listened to interviews. I dressed up a little, and bundled up warm. As I was walking down toward the FFTC for the community roundup, I met Myra and Nela walking up the hill. They were going to help Anna cook for the fire department. They asked me to fill them in on the meeting. As I got close to the FFTC building, I met the chaplain coming in also. I asked him about signing up for the classroom at the chapel and he told me to talk to the RP1. (Huh?) I sat near the front, with Kristin, who was taking notes (that's her job). The Ops officer went through the schedule for the next 8 weeks. A lot of it went over my head, like alphabet soup. Then several other men spoke and answered questions. That's when I realized Chris was in the back. The commander asked each person in the room if they had anything to add. I was not expecting that and just shook my head when he called my name. I did not realize we were on a first name basis. After the meeting, I stayed to talk to Kristen about how to advertise events, the shuttle to Daegu and the indoctrination class, which I never got to go to. But she said there is one next week, so I planned to go to that. She showed me the community bulletin board across from the elevator that I can post events on. Then I went to the chapel. I signed up for the classroom for next Thursday at 10. I went home to get a pad of paper. Then I went next door to get her e-mail address and phone number for the QOV list. I stayed to chat for a bit, then walked to Anna's place to get her info, but she wasn't home. I went back to our place and Chris was there having lunch. He handed me a box from the post office. I finished today's Sudoku puzzle Then he left, and called a few minutes later. He said he met Anna on the way and that she would stop by. So I was listening for her. She arrived with her younger son. We had a very nice chat and I showed her my sewing room. We talked about getting a group together.
After she left, I made breakfast and ate it while listening to an interview on biogeometry. There was something about having a group of 9 and a group of 16 to protect from negative electrical energies. It gave me ideas for a quilt. I called Myra to tell her about the chapel room. She invited me over. So I went over and watched Nela stack fabric squares while Myra sewed them together to make a rag quilt. After Nela left to go home and cook, I sat down to cut seams and promptly pierced the base of my thumb with her sharpest scissors. I spent the rest of the afternoon holding an ice cube to stop the bleeding while she finished sewing. Then her husband came home and I figured I might as well go home to mine. But soon after I got home, Chris called to say he was going to be late and that I should go over to Kristen's house by myself. So I printed out a pic of the quilt and walked over. I met her mother and baby son for the first time. They even let me hold him. But he was fussy so I gave him back. Her mother told me about the wonderful new sewing/embroidery machine she got for Christmas. Since she quilts, she offered to make some blocks for the QOV. I gave her the hardest ones and a few numbers to go by. Chris came by and we talked, and then Tom came home. We traded stories back and forth and had a wonderful time. But I had heard they planned to go out to eat, so I nudged Chris and we made our goodbyes. On the walk home, Chris told me that they were not going out to eat after all. Oh well. When we got home, I put a bowl of chicken soup in the toaster oven. I ate some seaweed and some hummus with fresh garlic. We read e-mail for some time. I wrote one, too. Then we watched Flash Gordon. Chris went to bed and I stayed up to blog.
* This is Jane, after teaching me Korean letters. *

No comments: