Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Indoctrination class and tour

I was going to bed when Chris came home at almost 11pm. He had been at Turtle Cove in a meeting and had his phone on silent. We had a 'discussion'. Eventually I fell asleep and slept pretty well.
His alarm went off at 6am. We stayed in bed until 6:15 when my alarm went off. I drank a quart of water, and washed up. I ate seed crackers with butter while listening to an interview from the Fat Summit: Fat in the diet does not equal fat on the body. Same amount of calories from fat or carb is digested and used very differently. A carb-heavy diet can slow metabolism by 350 calories a day. We don't gain weight because we overeat, we overeat because we are gaining weight. On a high fat diet the cravings disappear.
I paused the video to dash off. I bundled up and put out the recyclables. Then I walked to the classroom at the FFTC. My next door neighbors were just ahead of me. Although we walked in at 7:31, we were not the last to arrive. Eventually there were close to 20 of us. We were given a survey sheet to complete at the end. I sat with Nela and Myra sat behind me. The CO spoke first. Then he left and someone else took over. That man had each one of us get up and say who we were, where we were from and what we were interested in. The new kids on the block gave their name as they stood up, chair squeaking on the floor. So I did not catch any of their names. Mostly they talked about why they went into the navy instead of going to college. I gave them a short story of my life, but did not mention Chris' position. I made a plug for the quilt group. The survey sheet listed all the talks we were supposed to have from the different services on post. But two of them did not show up. And two others sent subordinates instead of the leaders, so their talks were less informative than they could have been. Dan Olsen talked about culture in Korea. About 10:30 we boarded a bus and went to Changwon. We were shown a old-style Korean enclave, including the men's quarters and the women's quarters. The husband was supposed to sneak out in the middle of the night to visit his wife, giving the appearance of virgin births for the kids. Then we went to a museum, which I took some pics, but was not interested in except for the 3-D map. Then we walked to a buffet for lunch. I ate stuff that agreed with my dietary restrictions (as far as I know) and was unusual – like jellyfish, snail, raw something grey and skinlike, lychee, etc. I enjoyed my meal except for something that tasted like they pulled it from the sea and did not wash it off first – very fishy and salty. I might still have eaten it, but my first (and only) bite had bits of shell in it. We were given an hour. Then we walked back to the bus and were taken to the train station in Masan. It was like a fly-by. I don't know how we got there or back and we did not stop to see how to pick a train or order tickets. Then we went to the ROK base. The maps we were given of Jinhae, Changwon and Mason included a mag of the ROK base. Color me surprised. We were allowed to climb on a beached sub, but not to take pics of the ones in the water. Like iceburgs, they were mostly underwater. From there, we rode to the other side of the base to a turtle ship. It was cold outside and even colder inside. We looked all around and a Korean sailor came to talk about the various things to see. Then we went to a military history museum. Not that interesting to me. And it was freezing in there. Finally we went to the gift shop next door. I got a t-shirt. Other people bought mugs and shirts and gifts. I thought we were done and heading back, but only so we could head to the bus terminal. Myra, Nela and I got off. I went to the post office, sliding in just before it closed. I collected our mail, then proceeded to the classroom. Nela was there and Myra went home and came back – but not before the others returned from the bus station. I filled out the survey. The lady who accompanied us on the bus asked what Korean words or phrases we wanted to know. Ironically, she had to rush because it was almost time for the Korean language class to start. Some people stayed for class. I took my mail and went home. I brought in the recycle tub. I dropped my extra trash bags next door. I ate the nuts and cranberries. I put water in the humidifier. I called Chris, who was on his way out of the office. I told him Nela raved about the fresh salmon from the commissary, so he stopped to buy some. I made and ate breakfast. Chris came in with the salmon. I showed him the mail. We talked about our days. He told me that the people who did not show up for the indoc were at the off-site conference with him. I cleared e-mail one last time. I worked on what I wanted to say at the meeting tomorrow. Chris picked out the musical Cats for us to watch. I jotted down a few thoughts that came to me while the movie was playing. When it was over, Chris went to bed. I posted to my blog, not sure if I was going to stay up and make sample blocks, or just go to bed.
* This is the reproduction turtle ship *

No comments: