Sunday, January 3, 2016

The best surprise

Chris got out of bed first and had breakfast. I got up later and drank a quart of water. At 8:45 he jumped in the shower. Since the Catholic service is at 9, I was surprised. After he left, I was reading e-mail and the land line rang. I thought it must be him, but it was Michele! What a wonderful surprise! We had a nice chat and she said to tell Chris to call when he got back from church. So I wondered how I was going to remember that. I sent him an e-mail. I read e-mail for awhile, then took a shower and got dressed. I ate the last of the seed crackers. Then I put on my coat and walked to church. I arrived in six minutes, passing Chris in the stairwell. I told him Michele called. Then I snuck into the theater where prayer was already in progress. I sat with Jane. The sermon was on 10 suggested resolutions gathered from the third chapter of Proverbs. After the service, Jane went on to the Korean church. I went hone to change clothes. Chris put on his backpack and we walked to the Korean church to meet Jane. Lunch was already in progress, so either the protestant service went late or the Korean service got out early. After lunch, Jane walked with us to the nearest bus stop. We caught 305 to the five-day market. We got off but Jane went on. First I went to the turmeric stand. I wanted roots but all they had was powder. I wrote down the symbols at the top of the sign thinking it meant turmeric. I showed it at other places in the market that had roots for sale. But they all shook their heads. I wondered if I had written down the wrong thing. Then we found the stand that sells sweet potato 'gummy worms'. I bought the red and the yellow ones, thinking the red ones were beets. We bought a basket of apples, which Chris put in his backpack, God bless him. We did find turmeric root and had to buy a whole basket. Chris called the CO and asked if his wife would like to have some. On the way out, I stopped for the strange little mushrooms that taste so good. Then we waited at the bus stop for some time to catch 305. When we got back to our quarters, I tried the red gummy worms. Chris said they tasted like sweet potato. So both red and yellow are sweet potatoes. I read e-mail, ate an apple, then pulled blue scrap fabrics for the BOM project. I jotted notes for my blog. Chris helped me filled water containers from the shower filter. I cut up some turmeric root and boiled it on the stove.
I sat at the desktop and looked up chocolate recipes until I found one just right. I typed it in below my seed cracker recipe and enlarged them to fit the page. Then I printed it out and taped it to the wall in the kitchen. I started the process by measuring seeds into a bowl. But when I discovered that we only had half of the amount of pumpkin seeds, I put it all back. The commissary sells pumpkin sees, but is closed on Mondays. I drank turmeric tea while we watched Zorro the Gay Blade. It's a funny movie. And then it was bedtime. If I made resolutions, one would be to get to be earlier.
* Sweet potato 'gummy worms' are not as sweet as hearing from Michele. *

No comments: