Sunday, March 6, 2016

Finally, a ride to church, now that we have our temp licenses

I woke up slowly and got out of bed when nature called. I woke up my laptop and was surprised to discover that it was 10am. I threw on a nice top and pair of pants. I drank some water and ate some seed crackers. I called Chris, first on his cell phone and then on his work phone. There was no answer. He called a few minutes later as I finished putting on my coat and shoes to walk to church. He had gone to church and was coming to pick me up. So I got the keys and met me at our car. He dropped me off at the church. I sat with Jane and showed her messages on my phone that I did not understand. She said they were for a previous owner of the phone. She showed me how to block them. Then the service began. We sang three praise songs with the song leader. I have yet to convince him that hymns would be welcome. Then we met at tables in the back for communion. We were given a question to answer but I am not sure anyone did. I talked with a man who was on the same ship last night. Then we sat for the bible reading and a talk. There were announcements after the service. Chris came in to talk to the chaplain. Jane insisted I come to the back with her. I guess she thought I would eat the snacks, but since we were about to go to lunch at the Korean church, what was the point? A young man who has played guitar for the service in December, said he would like to hear me play trombone sometime at church. I explained that I needed a chord instrument to play with me. Then I joined Chris and Jane had to go with a group to get off post (some new security thing). A big bus was waiting outside the chapel to take people to see a ship at the ROK base. We did not do that because a) we did not know if it would be back when Chris needed to be back, and b) they said only U.S. Military could ride the bus. So we walked to the Korean church and Jane met us there. They had kimchi, japchai, rice, seaweed soup, and another dark green vegetable. There were rice cakes and orange slices on the tables. Jane collected the leftover rice cakes for the senior center. Another lady came up and seemed to recognize me. She put her arm around me and asked if I had a Korean friend. Jane put her arm around me from the other side and replied to her in Korean. I would have loved to understand THAT conversation. Then another lady had me type my phone number into her phone. I hoped she wasn't going to call me to go places with her. My social calendar is full. That reminded me of last night, when I met an administrator from the school and he encouraged me strongly to become a substitute teacher at the school. I know they need substitutes, but I am already committed 4 days a week. Jane left to catch a bus and we walked home. Chris immediately left for work. I saw Sook had called so I called back and we met halfway between our houses. I gave her the backpack and went home. I checked e-mail. I listened to audios. I chose some fabric to make fish blocks. I wrote an e-mail to my list of people interested in sewing QOV. Looking for a photo, I realized that the list was too long. I started the process of putting each month's worth of photos in one folder, starting with September, which is where I left off some time ago. Eventually Chris came home. We had a chat. He did three loads of laundry and made his supper. I sent my e-mail, and made my breakfast. I cleared more e-mail and did some tapping. He made popcorn. We folded laundry and watched the last Hornblower movie. Sadly, it ends with his wife announcing her pregnancy. We folded the rest of the laundry and put it away. I drank salt water, posted to my blog, and went to bed.
* Here we are, sitting in the belly of an Osprey *

No comments: