Sunday, March 20, 2016

'Fish'ing with Anna

I got up soon after the alarm went off. I drank a quart of water while reading e-mail. Chris put a pork butt in the oven to cook. I wrote to Shi-Uk, thanking him for sending me links to the songs we will be singing in church today. I also searched Youtube for links to hymns for Easter and passed them on as suggestions. I showered and got dressed. I thought Chris would be home soon to get me, but he wasn't so I had just decided to go myself when he called to say his service had run long and he needed to help count the money. So I grabbed the car keys and drove myself to church. Chris came out as I got out and took the keys. I sat with Jane and showed her all the KakaoTalk messages I was getting from other people. She said they were for a previous owner of the phone. (But I bought it new.) Anyway the service started. The songleader was not there and we sang Palm Sunday hymns. We greeted each other with a handshake. I saw Kelly so I asked her for a hair cut. She said Wednesday. Then we had communion in the back and sat for the sermon. It was a detailed historical account of what was going in in Jesus' time. I am glad the kids had their own service when he described what Roman floggings were like and how people were nailed to a cross, etc. It was gory, but informative. After the service, I told the pastor how I had never heard this information before. Then I drove Chris and me home. That went a lot better than I expected – uphill all the way and with stops. I changed my clothes and made breakfast. As I checked e-mail, I saw someone on base was looking for moving boxes. So I offered mine. She sent her husband over and he only took a handful. I think she'll send him back. Chris took the pork out to pull it apart, then put the dish back in. I went around picking things up and putting them out of the way. I wiped the counter tops in the kitchen. I cut colorful squares to make fish blocks. At 2:15 I called Anna to see if she and her son were coming to watch the movie. She said she totally forgot and would be over in half an hour. I cut more squares. Then I got my keyboard out of the box and set it up in the living room. I had trouble getting it to power up, but Chris did something and it worked. Then Anna arrived with her son. But he wanted to play with his friends. We talked about them coming later, but how late? When I said I was making fish blocks, she wanted to help. So her son ran off with his friends and she and I went to my sewing room. I cut and drew diagonal lines. She sewed and pressed. And we talked, a lot. The scent of cooking pork got stronger and stronger. Finally she realized it was time to go home and cook for her family. Chris offered her some pork to take along, but she declined. We ate supper after she left. I made a salad with the last of the veggies and ate that. Chris put on a movie called RED (Retired Extremely Dangerous). We watched all the special clips at the end. Then Chris made the bed. I posted to my blog and we went to bed.
* this is one of the flower shops across from Daiso *

No comments: