Thursday, May 26, 2016

More fabric from Daegu

I did check my lettuce last night, and it was slug free.
This morning, I woke up in a sweat, hoping it was just the weather. I stayed in bed until 7:15. I got up to drink lemon water, check e-mail and respond. I tapped on having a headache. I collected the garbage and lugged the huge container out to the curb. I watered the plants, not certain they all needed it, but it was shaping up to be a hot day. I made and ate breakfast. I packed some seed crackers and water. I got dressed. Taking my market bag and back-up bag, I headed toward the commissary. But Kim picked me up in her van as I was walking and took me to the ATM. I got cash. Myra arrived and we headed to the gate, where we picked up Sue. Then Kim drove the five of us to the commissary at Camp Carroll. She had something to deliver and the rest of us looked around. It was as small as ours in Chinhae, like a country store. Then we went to the commissary at Camp Walker. It was huge, like walking into a supermarket. I did not realize how much I missed supermarkets. I bought lemons. We also stopped at the lawn and garden shop there. I wanted a pair of grass shears, but they had nothing with long blades, only short blades with long handles. From Camp Walker, we drove into Daegu. The fabric market was not hard to find, but getting to the parking lot was difficult. It took us 40 minutes, waiting in line. Kim was looking to match a swatch of fabric. We all looked together at first but I kind of got sidetracked looking at a roll of blue that looked like the middle of a swimming pool. But no one was there to wait on me so I left. I cannot now recall all our movements within the market. I bought various quilting fabrics and several knits. One lady shoved the second knit in my bag insisting that I buy it. I thought she was giving it to me, but Sue (who is Korean) explained that the lady expected $5 for the two yards of fabric. I was ok with that. Kim found that the fabric she wanted was discontinued so she bought the silk from the man she met on Monday. Then Nela and Myra bought Coach fabric to make bags because it was so cheap. After that, Nela and Sue went downstairs to eat while the rest of us walked around trying to find fusible tricot – a stabilizer for knits. We did a lot of asking and were first directed out of the building to another. Not finding it, we threaded our way back. On the third floor, we were told to go to the 4th floor. On the fourth floor, we were told to go to the third floor. Finally I asked a woman who went and got a man, whom I followed to a place on the third floor. He left and I called Sook but she did not answer. Then I called Jane and she explained to the proprietress what I wanted. I bought it, then went back to the others. Kim wanted a zipper so we went back to the little place, and we bought needles and a zipper and handle webbing and such. Then we walked down to B3 to find Kim’s car. She drove us several hours back to the base in Chinhae, dropping Sue off at her house. Then I was dropped off and she took the others home. I ate my daily nuts with dates. I checked e-mail briefly. Then I changed clothes and called Kristen to see what cleaning supplies might be needed. I suggested a bucket and she agreed. So I got my bucket from outside and cleaned it. I was walking to her house when Linda drove by and picked me up. Kristen’s door was open when we got there. A bunch of ladies were inside and the dining room table was full of pizza. Kids were running around. It was a cleaning party for Kristen who is leaving tomorrow. It was not clear what we should be doing. I cleaned in the bathroom first, then found Myra and Nela cleaning the fridge. So I cleaned the cabinets and the window. I found a Magic Eraser sponge and scrubbed at spots on the walls. I also wiped baseboards. When I ran out of things to clean, I turned to say my goodbyes. Kristen offered me lots of yeast to take along. We hugged and I left. I walked home in the dark. I checked my lettuce and did not find slugs. I read e-mail and drank water. I listened to the rest of an audio I started this morning about how autism is a microbiome imbalance. Then I posted to my blog in preparation for going to bed.
* Here is one of the kaleidoscopes I made earlier in the week. *

No comments: