Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Frost warning

I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. What was unusual was that I wasn't having a hot flash. And I went back to sleep. Chris' alarm woke me up and I heard the Korean national anthem at the same time. It must have been very loud to carry from the ROK base through our walls and be clearly heard. I am not sure if I went back to sleep after that. I heard Chris putter around for awhile, then take a shower, get dressed and leave. All at once it hit me that today is Wednesday: recycle day. It was quarter after 8, so I threw plastics in one bag, glass in another, paper in a third and cans in a fourth. I put on my longest coat to cover my pajamas and took the bags out to the curb. Then I poured myself a quart of water, using up the last of it. I collected three containers full from the shower filter. I sat and read e-mail while drinking it. I had trouble trying to load a video. I had to go into task manager and end Edge because all its windows were frozen. I played the video on the desk top. While it played I did my exercises and stretches. I sliced sweet potato. Not having a toaster, I put them in the toaster oven. But it took a long time for them to bake, maybe half an hour. But they were tasty, especially with butter. I tried to finish the weekend Sudoku puzzle. I washed dishes in the kitchen sink. Finally I got dressed and went to sewing class. I brought a quilt to work on. But I needn't have. Someone arrived at the same time I did. She helped me set up the room. Then others arrived and I was busy advising them on their individual projects. Kumi gave me a piece of Korean Red ginseng candy. I realized that my hot flashes had simmered down quite a bit. I wondered if it was acupuncture, eating fermented soybeans, or upping my dosage of melatonin. Myra went through the fabric baskets and weeded out those that were unlikely to be used, and reorganizing the rest. At 12:30
so many ladies were waiting for a machine to come available that I went home and packed up my daily machine. I also pulled the mail-ahead machine from its spot under the desk. Chris, who was home for lunch, carried the heavier one and we headed to Housing. Kelly's husband was walking by and offered to help. So he carried the mail-ahead one for me. We deposited them on the second floor of Housing, and the men left. With the addition of those two, we had five machines running. It was quite a class. It ran overtime. Denee wanted to stay to finish her centerpiece. So I left her and Myra talking. I went home to drop off the fabric that we weeded from the class baskets. Then I headed to the chapel to get my hexecontahedron which Linda reminded me of in class. But Kelly came along driving a borrowed car and offered me a ride. So I accepted. I was going to give her some money towards all the food she was preparing, but I discovered that I left my fanny pack in the classroom. I went to the chapel, got my 60-sided ball, and walked home. I went back to Housing and got my fanny pack. When I got home, I put cacao butter on the stove to melt. Then I fixed breakfast. But just as I finished, Myra called. She said she got the car and was willing to drive out in town to the 5-day market. I could not pass it up. The cacao butter was on low and would take a long time to melt. I put two tomatoes in a bag. I walked down to her place, and gave her the tomatoes. First we went to pay her internet bill. Then we went to Home Plus, parked, and walked the street of the market. I only wanted kimchi but I ended up getting lots more stuff. As did she, who said she did not need anything. But it was cold, so we did not linger. We got back and she dropped me off at my place. I dropped everything on the kitchen floor. The cacao butter was completely melted. So I quickly stirred in the chocolate powder and honey. I was supposed to use a whisk, but did not have one. Don't know why. I took it off the heat and put in cinnamon and vanilla and stevia and lo han. I poured it over cashews in the the little brown molds. I poured it over walnuts in the mini-cupcake mold. And I poured it over pecans in an old ice cube tray. Then I put it in the fridge and finished my breakfast. And then it was time to go back to sewing class. My poor tomatoes were still uncovered, and freezing temps were expected. Myra and I arrived at the same time. The room was still set up from the earlier class. No one else was there, so I went home to get a project to work on. I checked the Facebook page to see if anyone posted that they were coming. I was tempted to post “Myra and I are sew alone here at the Housing center.” But I didn't. I grabbed two pieces of fabric and went back. We chatted as we worked. Then about 7 Anna came. A little later two other ladies came. So we all worked together. At 8:45 I called time. We packed up. Anna gave me a ride home so I wouldn't have to walk with my daily machine. I came home all bundled up. I tasted one of my chocolates. I popped the rest into a container, except for the walnut ones which were in the sewing room. I put them in the fridge to really harden. I pulled some big pieces of fabric from my collection and spread them over the plants in the flowerbed. Having done all I could, I came in. I went into the guest room to play my trombone. I was playing Sleigh Ride when there was a crash, and not at the appropriate moment in the song. The light fixture cover lying on the bed somehow came into contact with the slide. Yikes! I set it aside and kept playing. I had to mark some of the notes since I was playing treble clef and the ledger lines got confusing. Then I ate four little red fruits that the lady in the market said I should freeze and eat three a day. I sat down to record the events in my blog. The left side of my neck was sore, so I heated a sock of rice and held it to my neck. Chris and I watched the last two episodes of House. It was after midnight, so I posted to my blog and went to bed.

No comments: