Friday, November 18, 2016

Talent Show

I woke up early as usual and tried to go back to sleep. I don't remember if I did or not. Finally I thought I heard something so I got up and walked out to the living room. Then I poured two cups of water to drink. Then I heard Chris come in the door. He was tired from his trip and went to bed. I went to the master bathroom to get water from the shower filter. Chris was apparently tired, but not too tired. After that, I got dressed and put the three quilts in a bag. Myra called to say someone had given her four warm rolls of kimbap. So I threw a jar of kimchi in my market bag. I walked to the chapel and dropped off the quilts. I went to Myra's place for breakfast. She gave me a roll of kimbap and I ate it with kimchi. She was still working on the dresses. I cut open the buttonholes on the blush dress and sewed on the buttons. She worked on the christening gown. She invited me to eat another roll of kimbap and I did. I picked up threads from her sewing room floor. I snipped threads from the dresses. She kept thinking of things to add to the dresses. So I got ready to leave. She gave me a third roll of kimbap to take with me. I walked home, stopping to chat with Carolyn who was getting acupuncture too. When I got home, I was expecting to see Chris at his computer, but he was still in bed. I ate the kimbap with a hot pepper from our garden. Spicy! Then I cut up several small garlic cloves and left them in a dish so healthy compounds could form. I took snippers outside and cut a bunch of mint. I pulled off all the leaves. I brought them inside and washed them, and then put them in the oven on 170 to dry. I ate the sliced garlic with hummus.
I read e-mail. Chris did not feel like going to the post office. So about 3:45 I walked down there and picked up two letters. Instead of walking home, I ducked into the chapel to see how the set up for the talent show was going. They asked for another quilt to cover the whiteboard, but in pond colors. I invited Linda to come by my place and pick one out. We walked back to our quarters. She picked several possibilities. Then she went home. I put the quilts and some pond-colored fabrics in a tote bag. I untied the hexecontahedron from the diningroom light fixture. Then I ate an apple. I sat at my laptop reading e-mail until she texted me. I took the bag and polyhedron out to our car, which was in front of her house. She got in and I drove us to the chapel. It was raining. She took the bag of quilts in. I parked at the FFTC and took the polyhedron in. She and Kathy chose and hung a quilt over the whiteboard. Then Kathy hung the hexecontahedron over a table of origami that the kids had done. I got compliments on the giant dahlia quilt. I walked around admiring all the art. I took the unchosen quilts back to the car. I called Chris to see if he was coming and if I should pick him up, but he said he'd walk. So I went back to the chapel. I found a seat in the pew with Amber so we could talk. The place was packed. But the show started fairly soon. First the kids performed in groups and then singly. There were kids from the school and from Jinhae Hope Home. There was singing, dancing, piano, and synchronized taekwando. The kids were adorable and played amazingly. And then a young adult played the theme to Halo on his electric guitar. It wasn't exactly a tune you could hum. It went long and then when people clapped, he played another tune, even louder and more screechy. It was too metallic for me. Then we were told to take a 30 minute break to eat in Classroom 2 where MWR had set up some fancy food, and to view the artwork and bid on those items up for sale. Well, it took longer than that to get such a big crowd through the food line. I ate, then wandered about talking to people. Eventually the group reconvened for the adult portion of the show. The crowd was much reduced. A group of teenagers from the home played a classical piece for cello, violin and piano. It was lovely and they did an encore which was more lively, but also nice. Then the chaplain read an amusing piece he wrote about kids while the CSO played light music on the piano. And that was all the adult entries they had. I wished I had brought my trombone. Even if I did a bad job, the setting was informal enough that I wouldn't care so much. But there was the issue of music and a piano player. The crowd was instructed to get food to take home. I put some in a foam container. As I stood talking to Danielle, Chris talked about the amazing grilled veggies so I gave him the container and he added that to the contents. We hung around until the quilts came down. The fish quilt only had one bid and Kathy got it. I was happy for her. The CSO was interested in the QOV. And several people wanted to bid on the giant dahlia quilt, but I wasn't ready to give it up. We walked to our car and I drove us home. I called Myra to tell her about the show. She and Scott had taken Maria out for supper. We decided to let the CSO buy the QOV since he was in the military and the funds would go to the PTO. I texted his wife and she texted back a bid for $200 which I thought was great. Then Chris and I watched two episodes of House and looked up several actresses. Chris played a game on his computer and I sat down to recreate the day in words.
* This is one of the dresses Myra made. *

No comments: