Tuesday, July 25, 2017

It followed me home

It ell asleep listening to the Holosync recording. I slept well, but woke up early. Chris was already up and trying to sit quietly at his computer. I got up and brushed my teeth. We discussed how the chair beside the bed took up too much room and should go. He told me he had gotten me two apples from the continental breakfast. I started unpacking the suitcases into what little storage was in the room He went to work. There wasn't much storage space. I left the less important stuff in one suitcase. I thought the suitcases would fit under the table, but only one did. I stuffed another in the closet.
Then I was going to call the front desk for a ride to the gate, but I could not find my fanny pack (which had my ID). I looked all over. All I could think of was that it must be in the car. I e-mailed Chris. Finally I called Beverly to tell her I couldn't make it. We chatted for some time. Then I noticed a strap hanging out of my carry-on. It did not belong to the carry-on, and in fact, was the end of the fanny pack. So then I told her I could make it and she came to pick me up. I
washed up and got dressed in light colored clothing. I had rotary stuff and a project in my laptop bag already. I threw in the bag of seed crackers. Then I headed out to gate 10. I ate seed crackers as I went. I should have timed the walk but I didn't think to check. Anyway, when I got to gate 10, she wasn't there yet, so I kept walking. It felt good to walk. She drove up soon after that. She picked me up and showed me where she used to live in the nearby neighborhood. She did not recommend living there.
Then we went to the quilt group at the church. The other ladies were surprised to see me. It was good to be back. I visited with them, and did some rotary cutting on my QOV project.. I notice one strip set where the white strip was inside out. But Jane said no one would ever notice, so I cut it up anyway. Soon the ladies started leaving. We were out by 11:30.
Beverly had to pay a bill in Madison so we went out there. There was a thrift shop not too far away, so she took me there to look for a replacement sewing machine. There were two, but one was in a cabinet. I used my testing kit to put the portable one through its paces. It did very well. It was labeled Montgonery Ward and cost $20. It had lots of features that mine didn't. I was pleased … until I tried to pick it up. It was heavy. I had to think long and hard, but finally I decided to get it. Because it was so heavy, I put it on the back seat instead of in the foot well.
We thought it was the Asbury thrift shop, but the owner said it used to be but was now the Mission thrift shop and that Asbury moved down the street. So we looked for Asbury for hours.. At one point I spotted the Asbury thrift truck and suggested we follow it. Beverly turned around to follow the Asbury truck and the sewing machine fell off the seat into the footwell. Later I got out and set it upright. It did not seem to be broken, just dropped some of the accessories.
Beverly used Siri to find the shop. The map was not enough, we still had to call the number for directions. Finally we found it, having driven by it multiple times. The parking lot was full of people, so it was just us who couldn't find it.
We looked around. Most of the sewing machines were in cabinets. But she found a Tiny Tailor in a box. She opened it. We saw that the bobbin cover was missing. I went to the car to get my test kit. I tested it out, and saw the tension was off. I thought the tightness might break the plastic parts. I decided not to buy it even if they would discount from the $15 price tag. Too bad because it seemed like the perfect lightweight machine to piece with.
Beverly took me back to the hotel. My ID got us on base. She pulled up to the hotel and I got one of the luggage carts. She got the sewing machine out and put it on the cart. I thanked her and wheeled it inside. I took it up to our room. But the door would not stay open so I could wheel it inside and Chris was not there. I had to carry it in. Then I returned the cart. I stopped by the desk to ask if I could get a ride to the Martin Road gate tomorrow at noon and they said yes.
I went up to the room. I ate two apples while reading e-mail. Then Chris came home from work. He changed his clothes. He wanted to go to the dealership in Decatur to buy a car because they accepted his offer of 16,500. But I did not want to drive back from Decatur. So he called the dealership here and the man matched the price. He called Decatur back and the man asked what it would take to keep our business. As it turned out, his version of the car had a dark interior. So we went to the local one.
There was a lot of paperwork involved and we worked with several people to do it. We did not have a good address to give them for the title and stuff. Chris had just rented a post office box, but did not have the number with him. Still, the car people were willing to work around that. We signed page after page. I grew really tired. Then, when we had paid, I thought it was over. But we had to see a lady who was going to explain On Star because it came free for 3 months. But I turned it down. So I had to sign a paper(s) saying I refused it. She took us out to the car to explain the features – more than I will ever need. But then it rained. So we skipped the inspection for dents, scratches, etc. She said we could call in the morning if we noticed anything amiss. By that time I was so tired that I suggested we come back tomorrow to pick it up. But we had no other reason to come back that way. So, I followed Chris as he drove home. The lane markings disappeared in the rain which made me anxious. But we made it back to the hotel.
There were several times when the stop 'feature' kicked in at a red light. That means the pistons shut down. It was supposed to do that, but sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't. And sometimes the engine started back up while the light was still red. It was very puzzling.
I very carefully backed into a parking space using the backup camera. It suggested the car was straight. Then I noticed the car next to me was pulling out. Had I known someone was there, I would have gotten out of her way sooner. But she was ok with it. When I opened the door, I saw that the car was not straight in the space. But Chris said it was ok so we left it there and went in.
Back in our room, I ate some dried fruit. I wanted to make breakfast, finally, but it never happened. I checked e-mail and fell asleep.
At one point, I woke up hearing music. Chris handed me the flip phone and I thought he wanted me to make it stop. I opened the phone and pressed something, then went back to sleep. Later it occurred to me that it was a phone call. I tried to find out who it was, but the number was unfamiliar. Now that I was awake, Chris went it bed. I stayed up to check e-mail, noting that I was way behind and there wasn't time to catch up. I downloaded pics from my camera and wrote up my blog post so I could get some more sleep, probably listening to Holosync again.

No comments: