Friday, July 28, 2017

The latest and greatest

We woke up early. Having distilled water now, I planned a coffee morning. Chris went to work. I tried to boil water but could not get the cooktop to work. I called the front desk. She tried to explain, then sent a man to show me. I quickly got dressed before he arrived.
It was a flat glass cooktop. The touch controls were kind of self-evident but non-responsive. There was a red light showing that apparently meant it was locked up. Touch-and-hold took care of that. Then a few more turned the burners on. He said it was the latest and greatest. I was not impressed, although I suppose it was easy to clean. I'll bet it is easy to crack, too.
So I put on some soft music and did exercises and drybrushed. No rebounding until our stuff arrives. I made coffee and meditated and tapped. The process took longer than usual because everything was different. Chris came home early, so I cut it short. I cleaned up the stove and countertop. I washed up and got dressed. Chris left to have lunch with his gaming friends. I got in my car and went to the Thursday quilt group.
Driving was easier than I expected and the auto-stop feature worked every time. It did not re-start at red lights, but waited until I took my foot off the brake at green lights.
I parked in the yard with the others and went inside. They were happy to see me. I got lots of hugs. Then I started catching up on what's been happening. One lady, who I know but her name is not coming to me right now, was very excited to be the next president of the quilt guild. She was telling me how so many ladies had stepped up to serve on her board. She and Pat told me how much Huntsville had changed in the last two years. The FBI was building a big new complex and Madison Square had been completely torn down to made way for something else big. They thought Huntsville was becoming the new D.C. (Sounded like a lot of traffic to me.)
I stayed until the last of them left, about 3. I went back to the hotel and Chris was still at lunch or work.
I looked up how to disable OnStar because each time I get in my car, a voice tells me OnStar is in demo mode. There were a lot of videos and articles about ways of doing it and reasons for doing it. Apparently it tracks your car and your driving habits even if you don't have an active account. One video showed hackers calling a car's cell phone, downloading software and then opening the locks and starting the car.
There was a number to call OnStar so I called, The lady said I had to call from the car and set up an account so they could disable it. That didn't sound right to me. So when Chris got home, we went out to my car and he pulled the OnStar fuse. I hoped that was enough to stop all the wi-fi transmissions.
I asked Chris to drive my car and test the auto-stop feature. I don't mind it at red lights, but when I am about to pull into traffic, I want the engine running. So he did, around base. I was hoping he would give his opinion on the auto-stop feature, but all the lights turned green when he got to them. He did have to stop at a stop sign, but the auto-feature did not kick in.
When we got back, Chris read e-mail for awhile and I looked at houses for sale and for rent in the area. As far as square footage goes, we can get a better deal off post, and not have to contend with gate traffic in the morning, at lunch and in the evening.
Chris changed our address on Netflix to our new post office box. Our queue was nearly empty so we looked through a LOT of movies to find something we both might like. Then we tried to watch Father Brown but the video part would not show up on the hotel TV. I fell asleep while Chris was trying to solve the problem. Then I woke up at 4:30 and typed up my blog and went back to bed.
* New technology in the kitchen *

No comments: