Monday, July 24, 2017

Which one to buy?

I took a walk around the concourse. The flight departure was delayed again. I ate some dried fruit, and read e-mail. I added pictures to the sewing photo album on Facebook. I wished I had put the evening supplements in my carry-on. I tried to listen to a meditation, but it would not play all the way through due to the quality of internet.
At 1:40 the plane from JFK landed and all the people got off. Then we were told to leave gate B27 and go to gate B7. It did not make sense since we just saw passengers get off the plane at B27. But we trudged down to B7. There was no plane. Then we were told that the plane was boarding at B27 and we had to walk all the way back. At 2 in the morning, we were not amused. By the time we all got in line, waited and the boarded the plane, it was 2:30. I fell asleep before the plane took off. I woke up as the captain announced that we had achieved altitude and would be descending soon. I thought he should just let us sleep and wake us when we get there.
When we landed, we got off the plane and went to Baggage Claim. I watched for our bags while Chris rented a car. I had all 5 pulled off before he got back. He took 2 to the car while I waited with the rest. Then he came back and we took the rest between us. We piled them in a maroon Kia. As we drove to the arsenal, it rained. We went to gate 8 first, but it was closed. So we had to circle around to gate 9. We proceeded across the base to Candlewood Suites. They gave us key cards and sent us to a lodging area near gate 9. We dragged all our luggage up to the second floor only to find that the key cards didn't work. I sat on the floor with the suitcases while Chris went back to Candlewood Suites to fix the key cards. When he got back, they still didn't work. I suggested he call and have THEM open the door. He was gone for some time. When he came back, he said they were giving us a room there at Candlewood Suites for the same price as the lodging. So we dragged all our baggage down to the first floor and loaded it back in the car (in the rain). Chris drove us back to Candlewood Suites and we dragged it all up to the third floor, but at least there was an elevator. He had to go park the car while I got dressed for bed. Then he came back and we finally got some real sleep in a real bed.
I woke up at 10 hearing Chris take a shower. He dressed and went to work. I put on some peppermint oil and did some tapping for fatigue. Then I took a shower and called Rebecca. She said she'd be over in 20 minutes. I got dressed and packed a project and some notions. I went down to the first floor just as she was coming in the door. She recognized me right off. We greeted each other with a hug. Then I got in her car and away we went. She called in an order to Panda. When we got there, we went in to pick up her food. Then we went to the church for quilting. The ladies were having lunch. So I talked to them and then sat down to eat some seed crackers. As they went back to work, I went to each one to see what they were working on. I showed my project but did not trust myself with sharp objects yet, so did not actually sew. A few more ladies stopped by. The group broke up about 3:30. Rebecca and Bertha let me borrow a sewing machine from the fabric closet. Then I went with Rebecca to the tea store, and then she took me to our bank. I tried the ATM card but it kept telling me the account was invalid. Finally I went inside. When the young teller finished with the drive-thru customer, he checked out my card and said it had expired. He suggested I apply for a new one. Since Rebecca was waiting for me, I just got some cash from the clerk, and then left. She took me back to the hotel on post. I thanked her and carried the sewing machine up to our room on the third floor. Chris was already there. We decided to go car shopping.
We drove down Bob Wallace until we came to the Honda place. I test-drove a Fit. I liked the hatchback, but wanted a little more pickup. Then we went to the Honda place and drove a Yaris. It was not a hatchback, and needed more pickup. Finally we went to the Chevy place and drove a Sonic. Same as the Yaris. But, the man did have one with a lighter interior. And he said we could buy a Cruze for the same price as the Sonic. He brought one for a test drive, but the seat controls were broken. So he brought another. It was better. I pulled the seat all the way forward and adjusted it up. It was on the edge of comfort even so. It was not a hatchback but I liked the spacious trunk. I also liked the back-up camera, but then all the cars came with one. I drove around the block. It had good pickup. So we went back to the showroom to talk price. So far each step had taken too long. And now we waited again. The man came back with quote sheets. We discussed them for a moment, seeing that he had priced the two cars almost identically. We thanked him and gathered up the sheets. But he would not let us take the quote sheets. He said they were internal documents and had to remain in the store. But he offered to write down the prices. Chris got irate because it made no sense. The previous dealers had given us the price quotes. He said as much and stormed out, so I left with him. As we drove away, Chris told me that the Cruze was still an option.
Then we discussed what to do next. He didn't want to go out to eat so we stopped at the Korean market and got a few things, including kimchi and kimbap. Then we came home.
I ate some of the kimchi and kimbap while Chris called Dad on skype. Dad did not answer, so I left a message wishing him a happy 80th birthday. Then we called Al and talked about the cars. At the end, he asked for our number. Chris promised to e-mail him the info. I finished the kimbap and called my friend Beverly about picking me up tomorrow. She talked about her job and new schools in the area. It went a little long, but I thought nothing of it. At least, not until I hung up and the phone told me the call had used up $8 of the pre-paid amount. Yikes!. Then I got a text from Kurt and the phone deducted $.20. Chris had just e-mailed our numbers to all the family members. I thought "This could get expensive.” I washed out my hosiery. Then I wrote up my blog post for the last 24 hours, and went to bed.
* This is what Lauri is working on. *

No comments: