Friday, July 14, 2017

Packing the flat things

I got up before 8. I drank a quart of lemon water and listened to an audio while sewing the label on the QOV. Then I threw it in the wash along with the pillowcase. I used soap nuts for the detergent.
My tapping buddy chatted with me for a few minutes, but her connection was bad and she wanted to go hang drywall. So we ended early. I crushed some garlic, let it sit for 10 minutes, then mixed it with hummus and ate it with the remaining seed crackers. I threw the quilt into the dryer. I texted Dynee to let her know I was thinking about her and hoped she had gotten home ok. She called back later as she was coming back from getting her car fixed. She said we could catch up later.
When the quilt was dry, I laid it on the sewing table. I went through my boxes to find the one the longarmer had used to send it to me. I filled out a form and sent it to the destination coordinator to get an address to send the quilt. I figured it would be Landstuhl because that is where the Yongsan QOV's went. I had to take a pic to go with the form.
I put on an audio and packed up thread. I taped the loose ends down so they won't get tangled on their journey. Then I put the thread racks face to face in a tub. I think they are protecting each other, but I can't quite tell where they touch.
I looked at my blog from 2011 to see if I had said anything about packing. I sat on the couch and tried to make a list of what should go in each of the two shipments. The small one will arrive earlier, but cannot contain everything here. The larger one will arrive later and I am hoping will not need to be unpacked – so that when we get orders for his next job we don't have to pack it all up again. But that means some tough choices and foresight on this end.
I got a box from the shed. It was full of packing paper. To get rid of the paper, I piled some on the bricks out back. I watered the ground around it and filled a bucket with water. The hose was nearby. I lit the paper and watched it burn. I had a broom handle to poke it as needed. When the initial fire burned down, I added paper in small units until most of it was gone. I let the ashes smolder for a while, then I stirred them well and watered them thoroughly.
I brought the box inside and flattened it. I filled it with flat things, like cutting mats and posterboard and large sheets of stickers. I peeled all the Christmas stickers off of the front window and put them back on the original sheet. My largest cutting mat would not fit in. So I found another box in a closet. I would have said it was a smaller box, but I guess it was wider. With much pushing and pulling, I was able to get my mat inside. I rolled up my rectangular rulers in paper and put them in a large tub that had Japanese fabric and crocheted selvages in it.
When Chris came home from work, I was in my sewing room, putting together a small sewing kit of just the essentials.
Chris ate supper, then started watching a vampire movie. I ate supper, then went outside to water the plants. Several containers were holding nothing but dead plants since all the rain hit. I moved them to the back.
I came in and started packing the Yamaha keyboard. Chris turned off the vampire movie and helped me. Then he started watching Judge Dredd on Netflix.
I printed out extra Sudoku grids, wrestling with the software to get it to print what was on the screen. It also refused to print a black grid because it was out of colored ink. ????
I joined him in watching the movie.
Then we watched three episodes of The 100. I checked e-mail and the QOV destination coordinator had responded with an address for Quatar. Apparently the person in Landstuhl had moved.
I typed up the events of the day in reverse order. When I thought I had it all, I copied it to my blog and went to bed.
* This is the pillowcase I made for the quilt of valor. *

No comments: