Saturday, July 22, 2017

Spending the last of the won

I woke up about 6 because daylight was coming through the windows now that the black-out fabric has been packed and shipped. I went to the living room to drink water and write to my blog for yesterday. Chris had a bag of cords and I found one to fit my phone so I could download the 56 pics I took in the last two days.
I listened to an interview from the fasting summit: the body assimilates from 8pm to 4am. It detoxes from 4am to noon. So the best time to eat is only from noon to 8pm. That way the body has energy to do the other things.
I noticed Chris packing his backpack and leaving. I fell asleep listening to the interview. When I woke up, it was over.
I called Myra. We decided that going hiking was probably a bad idea because of her knee and because my hiking shoes had gotten shipped. Instead, we made plans to take the bus to the market in Masan. I called Dynee to see if she wanted to go and she offered to drive, which was great. So I washed up and got dressed. I packed some seed crackers to eat at noon. Chris came home from work. He gave me all his won. I put it with mine and counted it. As cheap as prices are in Korea, I figured it was a better investment to spend it, than to exchange it because the bank takes a big cut.
Then I put extra rolls of toilet paper and paper towels in a bag and took them to Dynee's house. When I handed them to her, I realized I had forgotten the vinegar and soap.
We got in her car and went to Myra's house. We waited a few minutes for Myra to come out. She got in the back and Dynee drove us to Masan. She parked on the street, in front of a little restaurant. We all got out, but the restaurant owner came out and said something that probably meant 'don't park here'. So Dynee got back in and drove off. We waited for her to come back, then walked into the market.
First, we went to the little craft store. I bought a few neat little things and a new phone cord. They bought stuff, too.
Then we went to the secondhand underground market. We moved from shop to shop, remarking on the clothing. There wasn't much we agreed on. How many ways are there to respond to “Isn't that cute?” without lying or offending? They saved me a lot of money by shaking their heads whenever I tried something on. At 12:40 Dynee needed to leave to attend a previous engagement. So Myra and I walked her back through the market to where she could find her car and get home. Myra and I headed back to the underground market. Along the way, I saw a pair of the tiny-pleated pants that I was looking for. I had a pair in blue, so I bought one in black. That was the only other color the lady had.
Then we went back to the secondhand market. We started on the other side and worked our way back to where we left off. I found one top.
Then we went topside and made our way to the fabric section. Myra bought a piece but there was nothing I couldn't live without. We also checked out an art street. Interesting, but not too exciting. Then we wandered back to the main street, window shopping as we went. I got a couple more tops and another pair of pants. She got some underwear.
We reached the main street and walked down to the bus stop. Usually we take 163, but it was 9 stops away. 160 came rolling up and I convinced her to take it. As it turns out, the route was rather circuitous, but we had a nice chat and came to the same stop in Jinhae as 163. On our walk back to base, we stopped for a bottle of water and one of orange juice.
We walked to Myra's parking lot and said our goodbye's. It was a tearful parting.
When I got home, I ate one of the pre-made breakfasts and some leftovers from the fridge. I put some of the remaining breakfasts into smaller containers for the trip. I listened to some meditations from the Ideal Life Mindfest.
I went outside to water the plants for the last time. I hosed the flowerbeds down, then coiled up the hose. I also weeded between all the bricks and pulled a lot of overgrowth from the tomatoes and marigolds. I carried the weeds to the back.
When I came in, I ate a banana and we started watching Father Brown a little early. After one episode, I got an e-mail from Dynee. So I went next door with the leftover Dr. Bronner's soap and Bragg's vinegar. She responded by handing me her vacuum so we could put our pillows in space bags first thing in the morning.
I came back to watch two more episodes with Chris. Afterward, he checked his e-mail before going to bed, and I stayed up to write to my blog. I hoped to sleep well for our big trip tomorrow.
* One of the second hand shops, where we remarked on the knitted bag hanging on the back wall. *
P. S. I still have won left

No comments: