Saturday, October 14, 2017

In a class by myself

I don't know when I got up, but it was 8 when I looked at my watch while brushing my teeth. I had already done a few things which I can't remember now. I turned on the router and checked e-mail. I drank lemon water and sipped coconut oil. I fixed the bubblewrap over the long narrow window by the front door. I unwrapped what I thought was a picture to hang in the dining room, to discover that it was a mirror. So I got a bigger nail and hung it on the only remaining wall in the dining room. I also prepared some Command strips on each side of the window.
I opened the package with my new EMF meter, but I could not figure out how to use it and time was short.
I tried to get a few chocolates out of the freezer trays but it was hard and most broke up. I put three in a bag for Rebecca, along with her pad of paper that I inadvertently stole while we were looking at open houses.
I packed up my thrift machine and stuck it in the trunk with some projects.
I drove down University and crossed over to Oakwood. When I got to the parking lot for the strip mall where Huntsville SewnVac is located, the entrance was roped off and the lot was being resurfaced. Yikes! A little further was another entrance, but it was roped off, too. When I got to the third one, it was open, but I could not drive across the lot. So I parked in front of Roses and used my rolling cart to carry my machine and projects to the classroom. It had its own door so I did not have to go through the shop and be tempted by all the fabric. But the lights were off and no one was in there. A lady came to ask if I needed help. When I explained, she said I must be the first one and turned on the lights. I called Rebecca, the lady who had sent out the e-mail announcing that Celebration Quilters were meeting today, but she did not answer. So I set up and sewed. I got the light-dark patch project done (except for borders which I didn't have. Sure, I could use my own fabric, but Linus Project has plenty and will gladly give me whatever it takes to make them a quilt top.)
Then I worked on the red-blue Linus top. I sewed strips to the top and right side of each square. But then I needed to square them up and did not have a ruler big enough. Beverly was getting ready to come, so I called her and said I had finished and was going home. On the way to the car, Rebecca called. She said she had come early and saw the lot roped off so she texted everyone not to come this month. She did not have my phone number (before I texted her “Where is everyone?”!!), and apologized over and over. I asked her if she were going to the quilt show, and she said she had just come from there. After the call, I loaded my stuff in the car and drove home.
When I got home, I made and ate breakfast while reading e-mail. There were lots of interviews to listen to and some of them were streaming, such that I could not pause them. So I ate. Then I stuck the curtain hooks to the Command strips and hung a burgundy swag.
It was sunny out, so I went outside barefoot with tools and trimmed the shared side of the yard. I could have done more, but I wanted to have a reason to come out in the sun again tomorrow.
Soon after I finished, Chris came home. I resumed listening. I snacked off and on since there wasn't much I could do while listening. I took my laptop in to the living room while I sewed, but after awhile the battery ran down.
The presentation I remember the best was from a doctor who studies the link between cancer and fungus. He said most cancers respond to anti-fungal medications. His approach was FUPO – fungus until proven otherwise. He talked about the rampant aflatoxins in our food supply.
While listening, I trimmed the red/blue blocks to 14.25, I sewed them together, then cut and sewed long border strips to the top. I spent some time deciding what to add to the top and bottom so the quilt top would be longer than it is wide. Having reached a decision, I cut a strip of squares from the dark blue and the blue polka dot. I made half square triangle pairs, then sewed in the opposite direction for quarter square triangles. Two were messed up because I had three squares together instead of two.
At 8 I prepared some hot bone broth. Chris made himself some horchada. As we watched several episodes of Life On Mars, I had more than enough time to pick out all the stitches on the two messed up blocks. Then we went to bed.

No comments: