Sunday, October 1, 2017

The salt experiment

I woke up about 8. I got dressed to look for yard sales since Housing had e-mailed a flyer about a community yard sale today, but there weren't any. I looked up reviews for my Himalayan salt to see if anyone else reported grit, and some did. But most people were very happy with it. So I looked up how much salt I could dissolve in boiling water and determined that a cup of salt was not too much for a quart of water. I put a cup of salt in my coffee pot and set it on the stove to boil. It took a very long time.
So I listened to an interview from the Alzheimer's summit. He mentioned a bunch of supplements like Regactive (me3 probiotic which spurs glutathione production.) Blueness made from lemon balm tree or alpha gpc which nourishes neuron n1 receptor. Lion's mane for cognitive impairment: an anti-inflammatory. Pycnogenol, green tea extract. As we get older, our bodies are less able to process carbohydrates.
When the salt water had boiled, I poured off the liquid and photographed what remained. Then I washed the grit out of my coffee pot. Then I poured the liquid through a coffee filter and photographed that, too. I through the coffee filter away and left the remaining liquid to cool and hoped the salt would drop out of solution.
I made and ate breakfast. We took several boxes of stuff and dropped them off at the post thrift shop, which was closed. On the way back, we returned DVD's to the library and checked out some new ones. I got another book, too.
We flattened a bunch of boxes and took them to a place on post where you can insert them into what looks like a large post office collection box. We also had boxes stuffed with paper. So we took those to the recycling center down Triana. On the way home we stopped at the Asian market and picked up kimbap and chicken gizzards.
We unpacked several boxes together, uncovering more glassware and plates, etc. I rinsed a lot of it and set it up to dry. But one box held clothes and items from the medicine cabinet. I was rather shocked to find the fuse key to the lawnmower in there. Especially because I had just ordered a new one...
I finished reading my book, and checked e-mail. Chris cooked the chicken gizzards in the oven for me. He wanted none of it. So I ate while I listened to Chris and Michele talking about some game she wants him to participate in. (She did not invite me to participate). I continued to unpack and look for places to put things, feeling overwhelmed by the task and the need to downsize.
Finally we sat down to watch TV. We saw two episodes of Life on Mars. I nearly fell asleep. So I laid down in the bedroom. Chris went back to his laptop. When he was done, he came to the bedroom to dress the bed. I managed to stand up long enough, then went back to bed.

No comments: