Friday, October 6, 2017

Little River Canyon National Preserve

We stayed in bed late. Chris got up, but I still didn't. When I did, he came back to bed and we began our anniversary weekend. We read e-mail. I drank water, added some Swedish bitters, then made and ate breakfast. I listened to part 5 of Future Mapping. Then I stepped away from my computer and got dressed. I packed a small suitcase, and a food box. (I did not pack any breakfasts). I filled several water bottles with Berkey water while Chris took care of the mums outside. Then we both packed up our laptops and carried our stuff to his car.
We had almost gotten to the first traffic light when I realized I had forgotten my vitamin C. So we went back home and I just grabbed my evening supplement box. Then we stopped at the library to return some books and a DVD. I checked out another book. From there we went to the post office. I ran in to check our box and it was empty.
Chris had programmed his phone as a GPS so he followed it for several hours. We talked along the way. When we got close to Little River Park, I had to follow the diagram on the phone to make sure we did not miss any turns in town. Soon we arrived at the visitor's center. First we used the restroom, then we spoke to the lady at the desk. She suggested we view the movie about the state park. So we went into the theater and she started the film. It was a promo piece, but not too long. Afterward, the lady gave us a map of the outlook spots along the canyon. She also mentioned some restaurants in the area. We decided to save walking down into the canyon for tomorrow. We headed south along the canyon, stopping to take photos. My phone ran out of power so Chris let me use his camera. Some of the lookouts had trails and we did some light walking.
When we finished the last one, Chris programmed a restaurant into the GPS and off we went, into town. When we got there, it was a little underwhelming. The walls were painted in shades of gray with brown leafless trees. Even though we were the only people there, our food took awhile and she never brought his coffee. We paid and went across the street to a coffee shop. Chris was hoping for an ice cream sunday but all they had was plain ice cream. He got the coffee and we headed for the hotel.
Following the phone, we found the Holiday Inns and Suites. Chris checked in and we hauled our stuff to the second floor. I plugged in my laptop and Chris hooked up my phone to charge. He got on his laptop and I started reading my book. I read for hours. Michele called Chris on skype and they conversed. I chimed in occasionally.
Around 9:30 I put the book down having read more than half. I made a cup of bone broth and drank some water with my evening supplements.
Then I tried to read e-mail, but the laptop was impossibly slow. I tried to access e-mail on my phone through the data connection, but was unable to get through. Finally I rebooted my laptop and it seemed to work better. When it started to slow down again, I left it swirling and wrote my blog post. I will probably go to bed after posting this.
* A quilt at the visitor's center *

No comments: