Saturday, October 21, 2017

Parade of Homes

I woke up around 8 but went back to bed. Later we both got up. I drank a quart of lemon water and checked e-mail. I vacuumed nodules from the washing machine. I washed up, and got dressed. I ate some coconut oil.
I selected fabrics for the pumpkin project. I had a pile of orange yardage, when it occurred to me that scraps would do just fine. So I went searching through the scraps to find the blacks, oranges and greens that I needed.
All of a sudden I checked my watch. It was 10am. I realized I was supposed to meet Rebecca at 10. So I quickly called her to say I would be late. She did not answer so I left a message. Then I headed out. I was there in 10 minutes. She seemed to be just pulling in. I locked my car and went to greet her. She wanted to go inside Sports Authority to get a drink. So we did. She also got a power bar. We got in her car and she handed me a list of the homes on parade and directions to get there. On the way, she tasted the power bar and it was terrible.
I read her the directions to the first one. They were all new construction so were surrounded by empty lots or partial construction. She pulled into the driveway and her car scraped in the front and again in the back. She tried the front door but no one answered. Then she very slowly drove out of the driveway, and the car did not scrape. She said it was a very bad driveway. She looked up the Parade of Homes on her phone and read something about it not starting until 1.
So we followed a sign for a yard sale and did not find it. We drove to the second house and it was open. So we went in. It was quite nice, apart from the small 2nd and 3rd bedrooms. Upstairs was a large bonus room with its own wall AC unit. It also had a garage, but no driveway.
For some reason, we went to the house next door. I rang the bell and no one answered. But the door was unlocked so we walked through the empty house. The layout was good and the bedrooms were bigger. There was more space upstairs, rather more than two people would need.
I don't remember now the exact chain of houses. One was very expensive and up on the mountain. Huge amounts of room and very ornate, but for half a million, you'd expect that. Nice deck.
We also looked at houses not on the list, but identified by signage. We did find one yard sale. But there wasn't much left. The last house we looked at was over $600,00. It did not look as good as the one on the mountain. All along the way, we had a marvelous time remarking on the outward appearance of houses we passed.
Then she took me back to Sports Authority to pick up my car. We went our separate ways. When I got home, Chris was on his laptop. I was hungry so I made and ate breakfast, and then a pomegranate. It takes a long time to get all the ariels out. Chris wanted to go to the library, so I left the peelings in the bowl. I watered the flowers on my way out. Then we took his car to the library. They had closed half an hour before. He put the DVD's in the book drop and we came home. I wanted to go for a walk, so we went around the neighborhood in such a manner as to rack up 1.6 miles, according to Chris' app.
Then we both went back to reading e-mail. I reached a point where I stopped to heat up a bowl of fish soup. The bones were kind of soft and I ate some of them, but threw the rest in the trash. Then I made a salad to use of the rest of the salad greens and sprouts.

I looked up twister rulers. I saw an article on how to make your own twister ruler, and then another on how to cut without the ruler – and without wasting any fabric. I did the math, and decided the starting squares needed to be 4 ¾ inches. I tried to write it down, but the pen wouldn't write. It was full of ink. So I googled how to make a pen write. I read all the suggestions and tried shaking it down like a thermometer. It did not work, nor did tapping it against the table. I got distracted by my to-do list. I automatically grabbed the pen to strike a completed task and … it worked! Well now.
I cleaned spilled flax seed from a drawer in the kitchen. I vacuumed out the dryer, which had nodules of rubber backing from an old bathroom rug. Since the rug never went in the dryer, the nodules must have been from towels washed at the same time.
I was at my cutting table, taping a paper guide to my 6-inch ruler when Chris was ready to watch TV. We watched one episode of Miss Marple. Then he looked up several of the actors to see what else they'd been in. I typed up my blog, and took my evening supplements.

No comments: