Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Another solution for back pain

I slept really well last night. I woke up before 7. I did not want to get up, but nature was calling. So I did, very carefully, and was soon vertical. I performed my morning ablusions. Some of what I thought was fabric from the bin at quilting was actually a skirt. It was a green demin-like material and I thought I could make a new laundry bag for Chris, since his has patched patches. The skirt was fully constructed except for the button. Such a long heavy thing would not look good on me, but if I put a button on it, I could donate it to the thrift shop. I ironed the leftover fabric that came with it. I straightened the edges a little and considered how big a bag I could get from it. Then I started swishing and turned my attention to sewing two squares to fulfil my resolution. Then I started cleaning up fabric pieces from my table to see the banner I had been putting off because I could not decide on a background. When the 20 minutes of swishing were over, I turned on the router and took some arsenic medication. I drank water and jotted a few notes for my blog.
I meditated with Oprah. I went through my e-mail and deleted much of it. I started reading the rest. I felt tired and cold. I wrapped myself in my warmest robe. I tapped, but could not resist laying down for 5 minutes. Perhaps I got up too early? Apparently I fell asleep. I was waking up when my phone rang, which I had near me. Beverly called since I did not show up at quilting. I assured her I was ok, but tired. We talked for a while. When I got up, I decided to get dressed and go for kimbap. So I did. Since the Asian store was so close, I stopped at the acupuncturist place. The lady doctor wasn't there, so I waited a bit, then left. I went to the neighborhood WalMart for goat milk and flax seed. Then I went home to eat the kimbap with the kimchi I had left.
I got back to the acupuncturist office a little after 1. They were both waiting for me. She gave me a hug and I sat down. She wanted me to fill out the same form she always gives me. I wrote my name and it seemed to be enough. She gave me a grapefruit. She took my blood pressure. She said my systolic was low, my diastolic was normal and my heart rate was high. So she asked what I ate this morning and I told her. I also told her what happened this weekend. She recommended acupuncture and taping. She took me in a curtained-off alcove and had me remove my socks and shoes. I wondered how I was going to pick them up again. I laid on my back on the table. The man came in and put needles in my feet and hands and leg. He didn't think it hurt and I disagreed. On the left, there was a needle in the top of my wrist and one in near my pulse. He brought something for me to rest my hand on so that the needles were not being pressed. She directed a heat lamp at my feet and the table warmed my back. I laid there for half an hour. Then she came to take the needles away and stand me up. He came back and put different needles in my hands. Then he demonstrated how he wanted me to move, twisting slowly to the left and right and then bending slightly forward. He had me do that continuously for 5 minutes before he removed the needles. I had never had moving acupuncture before. The site of one needle continued to hurt after he removed the needle. After he left, she put some kind of tape on my back. She said it was the expensive kind from Japan, and to wear it for two days, no sweating. Well, my middle name is 'hot flash' right now, so no promises. I am not sure what it is supposed to do.
I sat at the front desk ready to pay. He was doing something on the computer and I thought it had to do with me so I waited. I gave a lip balm to the lady doctor. She said if it was good, she would sell them in her store, but I said I thought there were health laws that would not allow that. She and I chatted for a bit. She brought me some solomons seal tea in a cup. She had the carton for sale. Then I gave money to the man. But she continued to talk and he did not take it. So, I got up to leave. She gave me some extra tea bags to take home. I thanked her and left.
When I got home, I read e-mail and listened to an audio until Chris came home. He told me that his boss' boss was supposed to be given 13 positions and he would get one of them, but that counts for nothing until he sees it on paper. I went for a walk, which I thought would be good for my back. But when I got back and sat down, my back stiffened up. I made and ate breakfast, then started listening to the next episode. I paused it at 6:30 and headed to the Stewardship meeting at the church.
I drove with the windows down. When I got there, it was only Ron, but others showed up later. We went through the giving reports and talked about ways of increasing the funds, like getting a church credit card that gives cash back. Ron talked about the Time and Talent cards. He gave them to me to put into a spread sheet. The meeting broke up about 8. I stood in the parking lot with the pastor and we talked about acupuncture. Then he had to go, so I got in my car and headed home. I had meant to keep an eye on my odometer to watch it turn 5000 but I missed it by 2 miles.
When I got home, Chris was on his laptop. He cued up Enterprise while I took some evening supplements. Then we watched two episodes. He made his sandwich and went to bed. I split a Motrin in two and swallowed the smaller one with some fermented coconut milk. (I wanted to take a little something to make sure my back did not get inflamed overnight.) Then I wrote my blog post and went to bed.

No comments: