Sunday, June 24, 2018

Picking blackberries

I woke up and looked at my watch. I thought it said 7:05 so I stayed in bed waiting for the alarm to ring. But it must have been an hour later because when I got up, it was almost 9. I took a shower using one of the shower gels. It did not lather but it smelled good. There was more than I needed, so I put the rest of it on top of a container of salve and got ready for church. I sewed all the vertical seams on one mondo bag panel. Then I read e-mail and drank vinegar water until it was time to leave.
When I got to church, Ron wanted to speak to me. I cannot remember now what it was about. Then I hit the restroom and got a bulletin and sat with Don. The organist had started playing so I had no chance to talk to her about Lamb of God.
Retired pastor Bob led the service. I don't know what happened to our regular pastor. His message seemed to be that we should get more people to come to our church. After the service, I stood in line to shake hands with the retired pastor. I checked my mailbox at the church and found a ThankYou note from Portia for making baby blankets. I kind of think she thanked me already. There were two pieces of chocolate inside.
Susan asked if she could show me something in the sanctuary. So I followed her. She showed me a banner where the word Faithfullness had been spelled with two L's instead of one. She had satin-stitched all the letters by hand – a time-consuming process I'm sure. She was looking for ways to correct the spelling discretely. She asked if I could find fabric to match the leaves. I said I probably had something in my stash already.
Then I talked to Mary, the organist. She said she would be gone next week and we would have a substitute organist that I hadn't heard of. After that, I talked to Shannon, who is having a baby shower next Sunday. I am glad I have a few baby quilts saved up. Then I called Chris to meet me at Publix.
When I got to Publix, I started shopping for items I remembered on the list, and just walking the aisles to see if something jogged my memory. Chris arrived while I was checking a box of eggs. He chose a different one. Then we shopped in the produce section. We also looked at small round batteries for the timer. Even though I bought the digital timer at Publix, they did not have the right battery. So Chris checked out the groceries and I went to Rite-Aid.
That store had completely changed. The man directed me to the back of the store. I chose a battery with the proper number. I also looked at other things, like water flossers and blood sugar meters. I chose a water flosser as well, then went up front to pay. I took my purchases home. Chris had already brought the food in and put it away. I put the new battery in the timer. I set it for 4 seconds, and it beeped at the appropriate time. BUT, there was no display. Chris said it was the wrong battery because it was a SR instead of CR. I could not find anything online to explain the difference. So I don't know if the battery is keeping the display from showing, or if the display wore out when the old battery died.
I made breakfast. Chris told me that Michele wanted me to call her. So I did. She did not answer her phone and Chris said I should skype her. So I did and we had a nice video chat for an hour or so. I ate breakfast while we talked.
The Burkey was leaking so we emptied it and disassembled it. Chris tightened the spigot and we refilled it and left it by the sink in case it was still leaking. But it was fixed, and Chris put it back in place later that evening.
Afterward I decided to go for a walk. I went in the bathroom to put some balm on my lips and noticed that the soap gel had melted. Not a success in my book. I got the idea to ask our new neighbor if she would like to pick blackberries. So I knocked on their door. She had stuff in her hand like she was busy, but when she heard my offer, she gave it to her husband and changed clothes. She got a small container and we set out. We walked to the blackberry bushes I had picked before. We had a good time and a nice chat. I showed her where the flowers were growing in the woods where a house had been. Then we walked home. I tried to get her to keep the whole container of berries since there weren't that many, but she insisted on sharing them. I invited them to come over and meet Chris. So they did. Her husband grew up near Philadelphia so he offered to answer any questions we had. (Did I mention Chris interviewed for a job in Philadelphia?)
After they went home, I read e-mail and listened to audios. I ate some beef that Chris cooked this afternoon. Then I mowed the lawn. The grass was so thick that I felt like I was making hay. It was almost 8 when I came in. I played the piano until Chris was ready to watch TV. We watched two episodes of Death in Paradise. I kept a cold rice pack wrapped around my ankle because there was a curious burning sensation at the back of my heel.
When we were done, I downloaded pics from my camera. I soaked my third batch of sprouts. I wrote my blog and went to bed.
* My shower gels *

No comments: