Sunday, November 17, 2019

Last day of freedom

As I lay in bed last night, Chris came in and laid on top of me. I stared at him and said “How did you get here?” Then he disappeared, but the weight on my chest was still there. Spooky.
The alarm went off at 6:30. I got up at 7, and puttered around in the kitchen for a while. I checked e-mail, then showered. I alternated between hot and cold water. It really gets the circulation going. I left my hair dry for a bit, then got dressed for church.
I headed out at 9. When I got there, I had trouble identifying my folder in the pile of folders. Then I joined the ladies of the choir in practicing our call to worship. It was a very modern song and I had trouble with it.
Afterward, I met Don's daughter. She asked me if I was the famous Fern. I guess he told her how much he likes having me sit beside him. She said she needed to go to Birmingham but wanted to know that he was in good hands. I promised to take care of him like he was my own father, and see to it that he didn't fall. Then she left him in my care. He and I talked for a bit but then the ladies of the choir assembled up front to sing our song. And then the service began.
I watched over Don through the service and held his hand going up to communion and coming back. After the service, Ron came over to tell me a story about hand shakes. Then I went up to find the offering and make sure it went into the safe. I talked to Jennifer and Stacey.
Finally, I drove to Publix. I didn't have a long list but I kept thinking of things Chris might want. I was there longer than I intended.
When I got home, I changed clothes, then opened the garage door to give the plants some light. I put the groceries away, then watered the plants, which were pretty dry. It was sunny and kind of warm, so I sat outside barefoot and read for an hour or so. When I came in, I put on an audio from the anxiety summit while I made and ate breakfast. I started a loaf of bread for Chris. I picked up here and there. I made seed crackers. I took out all the recycling, and flattened some boxes. I disposed of the wreath from last Christmas. I moved the Air Doctor box to the garage. I dusted all the books and stuff on the headboard of the bed. Then I cleared the mail from Chris' chair and sorted it, putting it in a pile that left room for him to set up his laptop.
I was dusting the TV and getting it all hooked up again when Chris texted me from the airport. I took my 8pm supplements, then got in my car. I emptied my passenger seat, then drove to the airport. Chris was waiting with his luggage. He put his stuff in the back seat and got in the passenger seat. He said he wasn't used to the cold. I drove us home, using Gate 9, which wasn't much faster than Gate 8 because of the backtracking.
He put his suitcase on the bed and emptied it. Michele called to assure us that she loved us before she died. She was throwing up everything. It started when she got off the plane from whatever convention she just got home from. I suggested popsicles, but she didn't have any. Chris told her he had a gift for her from Herberth. After the call, Chris showed me all the gifts that were for me, from Herberth and two ladies at work. The sewing basket from Herberth was picked out by another lady. All the gifts were thoughtful.
Once the bed was clear of suitcases and gifts, we had some snuggling to do. Afterward, Chris fell asleep and I left to write my blog post and finish my supplements. He plans to get up at 5. I am going to miss sleeping in till 6:30.
* A basket of Honduran sewing supplies - a gift from Herberth *

No comments: