Saturday, November 30, 2019

57 years young today

I woke up beside Michele. I got up and let her sleep. I checked e-mail. Chris and Cecily went to the church to help decorate for Christmas. I called Kurt. He said he was packing and was going to stop by the hospital before he left town. I thought that meant I didn't have to hurry. I made and ate breakfast, then got dressed.
Al and I put my stuff in his car. Alfred dropped me off at Dad's house and helped me carry stuff in. Kurt was still there. He and Patrick were going out for breakfast. We talked briefly, then I drove to the hospital. I found Faye and Dad in the gym with the PT. I watched Dad walk with the walker in the hall, and go up and down steps. Then he laid down and the PT stretched his legs.
My foot was bothering me so I went back to the room. Lunch was sitting on the table. Kurt showed up. I gave him Dad's water bottle and sent him to the gym to see Faye and Dad. I found the fat bombs: melted in a bag. I put some in the soup. Then I stretched my foot before resting and jotting notes in texts to myself. I ate a few seed crackers.
Faye and Dad came back to the room for lunch. We talked while Dad ate pulled pork and … something else. The OT came for another session. She left for a few minutes so Dad could finish his meal. When she came back, Faye and Kurt asked safety questions. Knowing Dad could have his meals in the dining room under supervision helped Faye to feel better about not being here for that. The OT took Dad to the bathroom. Faye finally left. Kurt and I chatted. Dad was tired so the OT put him in bed before she left. She also moved some of the markers on Dad's whiteboard. Kurt left at 2:45.
Dad slept and I tapped. I also sent a few texts for entertainment, as well as deleting new e-mails. His dentures came loose so I pulled them out of his mouth so he could sleep better. After a few hours, he started to wake up. Supper had already arrived. He said he wasn't hungry, but that he wanted to get started eating. The nurse set him up to eat. The fat bombs had solidified on the window sill. I put some in the soup. I cut up the turkey and Dad mostly fed himself. When he decided he'd had enough, I ate the remaining green beans and sweet potatoes. There was fat free sherbet, but he wasn't interested. I didn't want it either. I gave him some CBD oil. Someone came for the tray.
The nurse came back. Dad wanted to sleep, so she dressed him for bed and put on the cath. He was so hot that she took his temp: 99. The room was also hot, so she turned down the thermostat from 85 to 75. Dad dozed off, then became fidgety. I turned on the weather and we watched that for while. Then I turned to the classical music channel and he fell asleep.
Dad started mumbling about transformers and trains. So I talked to him about Poppy's trains. That seemed to be the ticket. He got more lucid all the time. When I told him he was in the hospital, he responded with “Johnston Willis?”. That surprised me.
Eileen, an RN, came in. She recognized us from last February. She remembered Faye, too. She referred to us as the F and F sisters. She listened to his lungs and heard a little something that she wasn't allowed to talk about. She asked if we needed anything else, then left.
Faye arrived just before 10. She brought me a birthday present. It had the nicest card with it. We talked about tagteaming tomorrow. Dad wanted to know when I was coming back. He held my hand and I assured him I would be back.
I left the hospital and drove to Dad's house. Patrick was there. He threw his clothes in the dryer and I threw clothes in the washer that Faye gave me. Patrick proudly showed me old spice cans that he found in the cabinet. I was too tired to care. I wrote up my blog post and downloaded pics from my camera. Then I got ready for bed.

No comments: