Friday, November 29, 2019

Thanksgiving

I got up after the second alarm. My phone said it was 7:30 but that was CST. So I only had an hour and a half to get to the hospital. I made breakfast and ate it while adding things to my Swanson's cart. I re-read the list of things Faye asked me to do. I took pics of the papers she mentioned. Then I got dressed, and made vitamin water for the day. I also cut up a lemon and made lemon water to replace the vinegar water I have been drinking. Then I drove to the hospital to relieve Faye.
I got there just after 10. Dad was sitting in a chair and had just finished breakfast, I think. Faye and I talked. She said they cathed him at 4am and then he finally got some sleep.
Faye left around 10:30 for home and a Thanksgiving lunch at the Moose Lodge. Dad wanted to lie down. I told him the chair would recline, but he wanted to be in bed. I set up his walker, but he could not get up. The nurse came in to check, and got some help to move Dad. But in the process, the cath came off and the bag spilled. The male nurse cleaned it up, and then they hauled him into bed. They did not reinstate the cath.
While Dad slept, I chose food for his lunch order. Then I called it in and asked for late delivery. She said they had a Thanksgiving menu. But when I heard what was on it, I asked for the turkey to replace the baked cod in the order I had recounted. And that was fine.
I let Dad sleep. But a lady from Vascular came with an ultrasound machine. She put gel on a roller and got a visual of his heart beat on her screen. She examined from several angles. She needed a clearer pic so she asked him to take a deep breath and hold it. But he didn't hold it. After several tries, she left and came back with some sonically reflective liquid, which she injected into his IV. Some of it leaked, but he got enough that she could take the pic she wanted.
Kurt and Patrick stopped by at noon. Dad was sleeping, so the three of us chatted a bit and then they left to join Faye and Kevin for lunch. Dad's lunch came a little early and sat. But I waited until he woke up to offer it to him. The bed had a button that transformed the bed into a chair. So I pushed that, then pulled up the food tray. I cut up the turkey for him, and let him feed himself. I put a fat bomb in the tomato soup to melt. Then I fed him the soup to make sure he got his fat and protein for the day. He ate everything but the yogurt. Then I pushed the tray away and reclined him a little so he could rest again. I asked him questions about things in the past to stimulate his memory. When he went back to sleep, I did some tapping.
Kurt and Patrick came back, a little before three. Then Faye came. We all chatted. Kurt offered to spend the night with Dad on Friday. So I figured I could spend the day and night with the Damours. Then I drove over to Dad's house where Chris was waiting. We put my stuff in his car and went to his parent's house. I took a shower and Chris joined me to scrub my back. Getting dressed in the bedroom, I spied a book on prostate treatment. I thumbed through it and saw some info Faye might like to have. I asked Al about the book and he said I could take it. I called Faye. But then someone came in the room so she had to go.
Chris and Cecily finished up the preparation for Thanksgiving dinner. I joined the family at the table. We feasted on turkey, stuffing, cauliflower casserole, peas and onions, cinnamon rolls, and cranberry relish. Afterward, they had pumpkin and pecan pies with whipped cream. Michele ate very little because she was nauseous. Then Chris and I put all the food away. He rinsed dishes and I labeled containers of leftovers.
Chris and Michele sat on the couch with their laptops. I joined them. Then Faye texted me that she wanted me to order her a book on Amazon and have it sent to her house. But talking to Michele, I figured out how to buy it in Kindle form and e-mail it to Faye. She had to download the kindle app to read it. But she got it pulled up, so I hung up to let her read. By then Chris and Michele had left the room. I talked to Alfred until midnight, not realizing how late it was. I got dressed for bed and got in with Chris who had already gone to bed. But my ears were ringing from being so close to the router. So I grabbed my pillow and went to the livingroom where Michele was reading before going to bed. The couch was pulled out and dressed with sheets so I laid down and soon she did too. Then we went to sleep.

No comments: