Monday, October 5, 2020

A Geode

It was a very long night because I kept waking up with hot flashes. I would have turned on the ceiling fan if I knew where the switch was. But I didn't want to wake Chris.
I washed up and got dressed. I brushed and swished, then ate breakfast. I tried to read e-mail, but Chris turned on I dream of Jeannie, and it was too distracting. Chris tried to get us park bus tickets for tomorrow, but they were sold out already. You can only buy them two weeks in advance, or one day beforehand. We might not get to ride the bus
I packed a snack and we waited at the bus stop for the shuttle. But I forgot something and we came back to the room, at which point I set down the snack and walked off without it. We went back to the bus stop and chatted with the other couple there, then the shuttle arrived and we all go on. I called Joanns and asked them to hold my pick-up order until Friday. We road the shuttle to Zion National Park.
We paid for tickets to the park, which are good for 7 days. We walked the Pa'rus trail, stopping often to take pics of rock formations, plants, or animals. Signs were posted that said the river was contaminated by cyanobacteria, and to stay out of it. But I saw two men walk their dogs down to the river to drink. We saw big horn sheep, at a distance, gathered around a tree. It was a paved trail and there were lots of bike riders. They kept calling out “On your left”, so one time I replied “On your right”. The trail was such that after 1.75 miles, we turned around and walked back the way we came. I had to sit and rest. Chris found me a nice rock in the shade by the river. It was a lovely spot. That's where I saw the two men let their dogs drink.
When we got back, around 2, we caught the shuttle and got off at Stop 2. (We then realized we could have walked faster than waiting for the shuttle.) We had lunch at Thai Sapa. I got the Thai Coco, and Chris got the green curry with a little extra spice. They were both excellent, but I liked his a little better. After paying, we went outside to wait for the next shuttle, which dropped us off across the road from our motel.
I ate my snack and rested while Chris talked to a technician at Dell, who promised to send someone local to our room to fix the laptop. I think I took a little nap. When I got up, Chris was using my laptop.
He suggested we walk to the rock and gem shop. So I put on shoes and we did. It wasn't very far. The rocks were mostly in labeled bins. They would have been more interesting if there were more information. But the only clerk I saw was the one behind the counter inside the little building. There was lots of colored glass, so eventually I went in and asked him about it. I was hoping for lightning glass, but it was all man-made somehow, even though it looked rough like the rocks. There were several bins of geodes at different prices. I chose one and took it inside to purchase. I asked how to open it and he told me. He never mentioned that they can open it for you for $5. I looked at wonderstone and rainbow rhyolite. They looked similar to me, but one was twice the price of the other.
We walked back, and I freshened up and put on pants. Then we went to King's Landing Bistro, for a light dinner of appetizers. My appetizer was one of the most expensive items on the menu. It was a platter with cheeses, meats, a few small slices of bread, plus condiments. Chris got a burger with oddly-shaped fries. After drinking most of a bottle of Pellegrino while waiting, I wasn't hungry. But when the food appeared, I ate most of it. I gave Chris the truffle salami.
After supper, we sat outside on the back porch for awhile. Then I got my laptop so I could jot notes for my blog. Chris got his camera and went to the side fence where the deer were feeding. He didn't take pics, but did have a long conversation with another couple.
It got dark and we went inside the room. I finalized a Swanson order and then we hooked my laptop to the TV. We watched the last episode of Call the Midwife, and the first episode of Another Life. Then Chris went to bed while I finished my blog post, and did some stretching before going to bed.
* Supper *

No comments: