Friday, October 2, 2020

Field Trip!

I had a hard time falling asleep last night, but stayed asleep pretty well. I got up at 7:30. I took the first supplement and got dressed and brushed my teeth. At 8, I started making breakfast. After breakfast I filled a water bottle. I switched to a larger purse. I put a large scarf around my neck. I put some seed crackers in a bag with a banana. Then I walked down to Johnnie's house.
She showed me a blue hexagon quilt that she was needed to match some fabric for. I looked at some of her other quilts which were hanging up. Then we both used the bathroom before we piled into her car, ready for our trip.
We went to Tooele, looking for a fabric shop that she used to go to. The shop was gone, but we found the massage place that someone recommended to me at Fall Fest. I noticed a shop that sells miniatures. I texted that to Chris. She took me to see Casa Linda, the best Mexican place, and then the building where the local quilt group meets. She drove to the aquatic center and we walked around, looking at the facilities as well as picking up a brochure. Then we went to Joanns,and got fabric. I wanted bobbins as well, but there was only one package and it had been opened with one bobbin taken out. We waited a long time to get our fabric cut and then again in line to pay. When my fabric was totalled up, I tried to use the 25% off total purchase coupon on my phone, but it wouldn't scan. Johnnie had to pull it up on her phone to get it scanned.
Then we went to the farm stand and got strawberries. I also got apples and tomatoes. I was told they were closed for the season. I paid in cash and was surprised to see how little cash I had left. We proceeded to Home Depot. She got plant pot liners, and I looked at replacement glass. The man said they don't cut glass there. So I had to choose from the sizes they had. Some sizes were out. So I just got two.
Then she programmed a quilt shop into her GPS and we went to Salt Lake City. We had lunch at Mo Bettah's, which is also in Tooele. I ordered a salad and was underwhelmed when it was mostly romaine lettuce. It did not seem particularly Hawaiian to me. After eating, I went to the rest room. While there, I took a pick of the floor because I thought the tiles would make a nice quilt block. I shared the pic with Johnnie when I got back to the table.
Then we went to a little village of shops, one of which was a quilt shop. A man was out front showing off a llama. I leaned in to pet it, and he gave me a kiss. The shop had lots of Riley Blake fabrics. We went because of the state park fabrics, but none of them spoke to me. She bought something there, but I didn't. Then we walked around the village. It was all decorated for Halloween. I took pics here and there, including the ducks.
Our next destination was the quilt lodge. We walked in and it felt cozy. She showed me the classroom and where the sleeping rooms and kitchen were. Then we visited the fabric shop area. The selection was awesome! I went through it several times. I found some fabrics that might work for the center of an orange quilt if they were orange. I helped Johnnie choose fabric for her version of the quilt we are doing together. As she was have her stack cut, I remembered fabric that I had picked up but mislaid somewhere. Also, I needed a blue to match a pic on my phone. So I went around the store again. I found the errant fat quarter, then searched with my phone. The blue it matched was present in only two fabrics and they had a print I wasn't wild about. But I bought some anyway. I took lots of pictures at the quilt lodge as we browsed for fabric.

We left the quilt shop and followed the GPS toward home. But on the way, she asked if I wanted to go to Smith's, a large grocery store in Lehi (I think). I was tired but I wanted to see it, having heard it was pretty good. It turned out to be even larger then I expected because it had clothing and such for sale as well. She picked up some chocolate hummus. (who knew chickpeas and chocolate were a thing?) I got a spaghetti squash and pumpkin seeds.
It took us over an hour to get home, not going through any towns. We arrived about 7. We passed two young pronghorn antelope grazing by a building. She stopped so I could take a pic. Then she pulled up in front of our house. We got my fabric from the back and food from the rear seat. Chris came out to help carry stuff in. I have him the two rectangles of glass. She and I agreed we'd had a good time. I told Chris he would have hated it.
She went home. Chris had fried fish on the stove, and mashed yucca. I ate my supper, then prepared the magnesium drink. I watered the tomato plant and was surprised that it wasn't so cold outside. I checked some e-mail and then we sat down to watch two episodes of the latest season of Call the Midwife. Then I downloaded A LOT of pics from my phone and wrote up my blog post for the day. I was tired and ready for bed because tomorrow will be an early day.
* The llama kissed me. I wish I had a pic of that. *

No comments: