Monday, October 12, 2020

The good old hymns

I woke up early, hearing the wind make the double doors squeek. I thought it kept me from going back to sleep, but when we got up, it was about 9. I re-made the pumpkin, which was sitting on the ironing board, but it still didn't have a stem. I took a shower and got dressed for church. I read some e-mail, and then asked Chris if he was going to church. He paused his game and took shower and got dressed, too. Then he drove us to church. We put on our masks and went in. We sat in the front row. The seats were very uncomfortable and I resolved to sit where we sat last time. We shared a bulletin even though there were only 5 congregants. Three songs were played before the sermon and I didn't know any of them. There was a hymn after the sermon, but I didn't know it either. And it wasn't easy to sing. After the service I spoke to the pastor. He said if I sent him a list of hymns he would try to work them in. Then we 5 congregants visited in the back of the church for a while. When we got home, I got out my hymnal and made a list of hymns I would like to sing. Chris made sunny side up eggs and gave me two. After that, I made my regular breakfast. I watched the church service from Huntsville. I checked e-mail and then Chris asked me to trim his hair. So we went into the garage, like last time. He wanted a quick haircut, but I was too afraid, and I took my time. Eventually he was satisfied, and I was dubious. He swept up the hair so I could 'give' it to the gophers. Chris called his parents and we had a nice chat. Cecily said she would send me Al's hair next time she cuts it. Then I went back to my laptop and read articles from Malewarebytes about how to avoid computer viruses, imaging the hard drive. About 3, I went outside to deal with one gopher mound. But when I had, I saw another. When I finished that one, Two more popped up and then a third. I was busy all afternoon. Then I watered here and there as necessary. While daylight was still strong, I pulled fabric in the colors of a screenshot I took a month ago. I finished the pumkin with a cinnamon stick and green ribbon. I took a pic so I could post it as a make-n-take class. But I never got around to that part. Chris baked a roast in the oven. We ate part of it for supper. I cleaned the countertops. I put on long pants and shoes to go for a walk, but found two new gopher mounds so I dealt with them, instead. It got very cold so I did not walk after all. I discovered Chris had sent me the pastor's e-mail address, so I sent the list of hymns. I listened to an interview with Stephen A. Bustin, Professor of molecular medicine, a world-renowned expert on quantitative PCR. He says it was never meant to be used as a diagnostic test and he discussed all the problems in doing so. Near the end I paused it when Chris came to tell me he was ready to watch TV and he had chosen “The King and I”. I made my magnesium drink and sat down to watch it with him. I sang along with some of the songs. Afterward, I discovered I hadn't drunk all of the magnesium and I spilled it accidentally near his laptop. I rushed to get a towel and he wiped it up. I brushed my teeth and swished while typing up my blog post. I read a synopsis of Uncle Tom's Cabin to see how it compared with the version in the musical. It seemed very different. And then it was time to go to bed.

No comments: