Monday, September 20, 2021

The sewing machine - so fleeting

I heard my alarm go off at 7:30, but ignored it. I got up later, surprised that Chris stayed in bed. I read outside for half an hour and he was up when I came in. I read e-mail until time to get ready for church. I washed up and got dressed. I watered the plants outside. Then Chris drove us to the chapel.

The chaplain was out of town, but he left a recording of his sermon. The assistant made opening remarks, the guitar player played three hymns, we watched the recording, then sang one more hymn. After the service, Johnnie told me she was downsizing and to come over some time to go through the quilt books that she was going to donate to the Tooele guild. After some discussion, Chris came over to signal it was time to leave (as everyone else had left). So we drove home while Johnnie walked home.

I changed clothes, then made and ate breakfast. I started a loaf of bread on the dough setting. I read e-mail until 1:45. I watered more plants, then went to see a lady who was selling her sewing machine. She lives near Diane who wants a sewing machine. The lady explained to me that it worked fine until she took it to SLC to get cleaned. After that, it was not good. I had my kit, so I pulled out thread and fabric and tried to sew. The handwheel got stuck, but that was solved by moving the bobbin winder. Still, there were tight spots and tension was spotty, and it sounded squeeky. I took the bobbin area apart but saw nothing. The screws in the needle plate were so tight I could not remove them. There was no way to take the top off. After much consideration, I offered her $20 and she took it.

I texted Diane that it wasn't quite right and I had paid $20. She texted back that she would pay that. I asked for time to play with it. I brought the machine home and looked it up online. One video showed a man loosening a hex set screw. Lots of people commented that that solved their problem. I took the bottom off to expose the hex screw, but did not want to chase down my hex wrenches. Also, changing the needle helped a lot with tension problems. So I put a spool of thread on it, sewed a nice line on scrap fabric, and left it under the needle. Then I packed it back in its case.

I read e-mail and watched some videos of evidence presented to the FDA committee on covid injury numbers vs vaccine injury numbers. For every life saved by the vaccines, 2 or more are taken. One man spoke about how there were no covid deaths at the nursing home he works at, but after vaccination, there were lots of cases, deterioration and death. I spent some time figuring out how the vaccination rate of 90 year olds could go down in Israel; how many vaccinated people must have died for the unvaxxed rate to go from 5.6% to 17.1%.

I realized the bread machine had stopped. The dough had risen quite a bit. I added nuts, cinnamon and raisins, then started it on the loaf setting. I considered going outside. Chris came back from the office. Because of the wind and chill, he wanted to close the windows and turn the HVAC system on. (It has been off for a month or more). He also brought in the potato plants because the low will be 38. Brrr!

After supper, I drove to the garden. Diane and Jenni and I arrived at the same time. We walked around the block, conversing. Then Jenni went home. Diane and I picked pumpkins from the previous commander's patch. She carried them to my car. I drove to her house. She took one pumpkin and the sewing machine. I went home and got Chris to get the pumpkin from from the car. I made tea and sent Jenni a pic of a dresden plate quilt. Then we watched the remaining three episodes of Person of Interest. I posted to my blog then read with the mp3 headphones on. I think I fell asleep pretty quickly after that.

* How many people actually read what they signed when they got the shot? *

No comments: