Wednesday, September 22, 2021

The cold takes its toll

Monday: I got up at 7:30. It was too cold to read outside. I drank water and took a handful of activated charcoal. I mended three socks. Chris had also left a pair of pants in my sewing room, but I could find nothing wrong with them. I wrote a check, and made a flyer for the swap shop. I turned on the router and made lemon water. I read e-mail and articles. I read about adding ammonia to wood chips to help them break down, but could not determine what percent solution to make.

Chris came home for lunch. He brought me a small package. I opened it to find a piece of the old Reber cemetery wall and a thumb drive. Sadly the drive was empty. I ate breakfast, then read articles, etc.

I took a midafternoon break to walk to the library to return some materials, and drop off an envelope at the post office. When I got back, there was more to read and watch. By 5:30, Chris had not come home. I fixed some supper for me. Then I scooped out charcoal from a bucket it was soaking in on the back porch. I put the bucket in my car, along with a rake. Chris came home right then. He could find nothing wrong with the pants either.

I arrived at the garden early. It was disheartening to see the toll the cold night had taken on all but the mint. I tried to rake aside the woodchips, but the weedy vines were in the way. I had to pull them out in an area, then rake away the wood chips. I poured on the biochar, and covered it up. I started collecting cherry tomatoes that were starting to turn. Jenni arrived on foot. I finished up while she checked her garden. Then we went for our usual walk. We stopped to talk to a man walking his dog. When we got to her house, she went in. I continued on to my car. It was windy so I just drove home.

I made tea and left it in the livingroom. I read e-mail until Chris was ready, then we watched two episodes of Dr. Blake Mysteries. I brushed my teeth and sat down to write my blog. I checked the latest e-mail after that, then read for a bit while wearing the headphones. Then I went to bed.

No comments: