Saturday, December 18, 2021

The Trip

Thursday

It seemed like a long night. I had trouble getting to sleep, and each time I did, some noise would wake me up. Chris' alarm went off at 6:30. We got up to shower and dress. Chris went downstairs for the free hotel breakfast. I ate cheese sticks and oatmeal banana cookies while listening to James Corbett's Solutions Watch. When Chris came back, we packed up our computer stuff and headed out.

He packed the car and we drove to the airport. We parked in a long term lot, and carried our luggage to the nearest shuttle pickup. When the shuttle came, it seemed pretty full. We were able to get on, but then at future stops we really had to squeeze together to make room.

We got off at the terminal and went to the kiosk for Sky Priority to print luggage tags then to the counter to drop off our bags. Then we got in the pre-check line for security. When we finally got to the man who checks ID, he said I was not eligible for pre-check so had to get in the other much much longer line. We were worried we would miss our flight. But that line moved pretty fast, even if it did snake across the second level. I got through Security first so Chris told me to go to the gate and tell them he was on his way. So I ran all the way to gate a-7, which was a long way because the gates start with a-23 or something like that. Anyway, I was huffing and puffing when I got there. But the lady wouldn't help me until I put my mask on, which I couldn't do until I caught my breath. By then Chris showed up and we boarded the plane.

We were in first class, which only meant that we were sitting in the front row of 2 seats on either side of the aisle. I hoped Chris hadn't paid a lot extra for first class. During the flight he watched a movie while I read a book called The Real Anthony Fauci. On descent, my left ear would not pop and it became quite painful. We landed in Detroit and walked to our next gate. That was also a long way. But we had at least half an hour to wait to board. I ate some cheese sticks and seed crackers and read my book.

We boarded an even smaller plane which had two seats on one side and one seat on the other. There was no option to watch a movie. I read my book while Chris napped. My ear did not improve. Finally, we landed in Richmond. We went to baggage claim to get our luggage, then went outside and called the Damours.

They drove up quickly and Chris put our luggage in the trunk. Luckily it was warm because Cecily made us take off our coats and put them in the trunk. She had sheets on the seats in the back for us to sit on so we wouldn't contaminate the car. She gave us hand sanitizer and laid out her plan for how we should shed all our clothing at her washing machine and walk immediately to the bathroom to shower, then later sanitize all our suitcases, watches, purse, masks, etc. I asked if we could stop for some distilled water, which they did. When we got to their house, we had to take off our shoes, then step on a sheet in front of the washing machine to disrobe. She had a robe and slippers for each of us to wear to the bathroom. Chris was able to get her to let him fish my toiletries case out of my suitcase. We showered and dressed in clothes she laid out on the bed. I guess they came from her closet. I made nasal rinse with the distilled water, added hydrogen peroxide and used it liberally.

Cecily made stew so we all sat down. Alfred prayed and then we ate. We talked for a long time. Cecily went to bed. Chris and Al drank wine and talked army stuff. Al went to bed. Chris got very amorous. I tried to cool him down by saying I was wearing his mother's underwear. Then I asked him about the affidavit I had forwarded to him. He gave me his responses. I sent him another article. I posted to my blog for yesterday and wrote down the events of today. And then got ready for bed.

No comments: