Saturday, December 2, 2023

Finishing Myst III, twice

Friday

I got up after 8. I did the usual, then headed to the chapel for Math Morning. I got set up and started sharpening pencils. Then Saronna and her whole family came. I worked with Moira and the other kids worked on their own. Casey came with Cedric. Saronna sharpened pencils until they had to leave.

When Moira was done, I worked on Christmas cards and ran out of stamps. After they left, we put stuff away and locked up. I stopped at the post office to get the mail and to lock the swap shop door. I also talked to Summer for awhile.

When I got home, I checked the pans of water outside, expecting them to be frozen since it was snowing. But they were not. Sigh. I took the gopher bag out of the crock pot and emptied the water outside. I filled the bag with snow and put it in an old pot to boil on the stove.

I added things to the project bag for Saturday. I read e-mail, trying to catch up. I parsed out a week's worth of supplements. Then I made breakfast and started eating. When I heard Chris open the front door, I jumped up and took the gopher pan outside and set it down. I came in and greeted him. We talked for a bit and he went to unpack. I went back to eating and reading.

When I was done eating, we packed the cooler (seems odd now) and went to Tooele. We stopped at WalGreens so I could buy more Christmas cards. Then we went to Luckey's, Melanie's and Macey's before going back to base. We listened to the book on CD.

When we got back, we stopped at the commissary for a few more things, then went home. We put the groceries away. I read e-mail. I made a salad, partly from store greens and partly from the tower garden. Chris went to the Polar Express night. I made a bowl of beef and avocado for supper. Mary texted me about meeting up later in December so I texted the others, trying to find a day we could all agree on.

I opened a coconut and drained it. I put most of the water in the fermented coconut milk to thin it out. I worked on my blog. I took pics of hints for the game. Chris came back from Polar Express night because he was tired. He said it was well-attended.

I watched videos on how to make a coat hanger tree, looking for one that used plastic hangers. That's what I got from the swap shop and it seemed like most people used wire ones for the trees. I saw where people had made angels and snowflakes out of the white plastic ones.

I took pics of hints for the game without reading them, which is easy with my glasses off. Then I picked tiny red peppers from the tower garden, putting them in a baggie. I took the water container and went to Michelle's house. I gave her the peppers and she put them in the jar with the other ones which are marinating.

Casey had the game up, so I started playing as we were talking. I knew at first exactly what I wanted to do. But then I ran into trouble. I had to use a couple of the hints to get started. I found the fourth symbol and the linking book. But the guy would not give me the other world book. He promised me the book if I helped him get out. But once I did, he threw the book into the mists. I used the linking book to go back to Atrus. He was glad to see me but sad that I had not brought him the other book.

So I reloaded from the last save point and read a hint. This time I turned the power off so he could not get out, nor back into the main space. He handed the book over and begged me not to leave him there on the platform. I went upstairs to turn the power back on so he could get out, and he came inside and hit me over the head, making everything go blank. Game over. Sigh.

I reloaded again, this time I did not turn the power back on. I just took the other book and used the linking book to go to Atrus and give him the other book. He thanked me but said if it was him, he wouldn't have left the guy stuck on the platform. Say what?

I thanked Michelle and wished her luck on her trip. By the time I had driven home, I knew what I had done (or not done) wrong. I made a mental note to fix that next week, if Casey loads the game. Since it is such a small thing to end the game, he might just load Myst 4 next week. Chris was already asleep. I did my nightly routine and retired for the night.

No comments: