Sunday, December 17, 2023

Flying hurts my ears

Saturday

Chris got up at 4 and took a shower and I tried to orient myself after lying half-awake since 9:30 trying to sleep.. I washed up and got dressed. I packed my laptop and we headed downstairs to check out. Then we went to the car. I sat inside, still not fully awake, while he scraped ice off of the windows.

From there, we went to the airport and parked. We dragged our luggage inside the terminal and up and down escalators. We found a manned counter and checked our bags. Then we headed to security. The line was REALLY long, but since we had pre-check clearance, we were in a very short line. So short that I forgot to drink the last of the water in the bottle. But when my carry-on came out, the bottle was still there and some water still in it.

We walked quickly to our gate, just so we could sit and wait. We boarded near the front of the line since we had front row seats. As in First Class. But it wasn't much different from all the other rows Maybe a little wider. We waited for take-off time, then again at the runway for de-icing. And then, we were on our way, in the dark.

I had the window cover up and I put on music while Chris watched a movie. I watched the sun rise as we flew toward it. We were provided breakfast consisting of quiche and croissant and fruit. I gave Chris my croissant. Eventually I watched a movie, Greek Wedding III, or something like that. When it was over, I started another one, but did not get to finish it before we landed in Atlanta.

It was a lot warmer in Atlanta at noon than at SLC at 6am. My left ear hurt because of the pressure difference. We went to our next gate and got on our laptops for the layover. I ate some cheese squares.

We boarded the next plane and waited for the others to board. There were no movie screens, so we read books. After the plane took off, I continued reading, and through the landing. I also chewed gum. But again, my left ear did not reach equilibrium. After we landed, we went to Baggage Claim. I called Faye before and after. Then we waited outside till she could drive around to pick us up. We put our luggage in her van and climbed in.

She drove us to the Damour's house in Chester. She stayed a while to talk. She is having the kitchen redone so can't use it. Then she left. Chris found leftovers in the fridge and heated them for supper. It took awhile because not all the burners work and the oven is broken. We ate in front of our laptops. I read Telegram messages and e-mail. I laid down for a bit but sleep wouldn't come. So I broke out the supplement box. I took some oral supplements, and put on some patches. Then I made chamomile tea using the smallest burner that worked. Chris loaded Psych on the TV. We watched 2 episodes and I dozed off once. So I did my stretches and went to bed.

No comments: