Wednesday, December 27, 2023

When the cow comes home

Tuesday

When I could see that it was too late to get any sleep, I got up and used the bathroom. That awakened Chris and he got up too. I washed up and got dressed. I packed the last few things in either the suitcase or the carry-on or my fanny pack, depending on how available I needed them to be. Then we read e-mail until time to go.

I grabbed my carry-on and headed to the elevator. Chris was nowhere to be seen when it arrived, so I rode it to the lobby and sent it back to the 4th floor for him. I waited by the desk. When he arrived, the bus driver helped us load the luggage in the courtesy van. Then he drove us to the airport and dropped us off at the Delta entrance.

We went in and stood in line. The check-in desk hadn't opened yet. Our line (Sky Priority) was short, but the other line was very long. We had to wait for service but then were soon on our way to Security. We passed that with no incident and walked to the gate where we sat and read books until boarding call.

We got on the plane and read again until take-off. My ears did better on this flight. The small plane had no movie screens and they turned down the lights. We read by overhead light. I kept checking out the window for sunrise but it never happened.

We landed in Detroit. The landing was hard on my ears. We ran from one concourse, under the tarmac, to another concourse. The next plane was already boarding and I feared for our luggage. But according to the pilot, take-off was delayed for late luggage. Probably ours.

We watched shows on the individual screens. My ears adjusted with a bit of yawning. We were served a meal and drinks. I finished a movie from the flight 10 days ago, and watched episodes of Criminal Minds, pulling the eye shades down during the gory scenes. I was in the middle of the 4th one when we landed. I left my headphones plugged in until the line of people started walking off the plane. Then I unplugged and followed Chris into the airport. We stopped at the restrooms, and proceeded to Baggage Claim. I kept watch on three carousels until our baggage showed up on the first one. We rolled our luggage out the door and through the parking garage and lot to his car. He loaded most in the trunk and the big suitcase in the back seat. Then we headed home.

We stopped once to get my ID out of my roll-on, then listened to an entire CD of the book on CD from the library. I think I did sleep for a little bit on the way. But I woke up at the front gate.

We stopped at the post office for a pile of mail, then headed home to unpack. I had a splitting headache. Last time I got a headache that bad, I ended up with a respiratory illness. So I rinsed my sinuses and swabbed my ears. I unpacked my suitcase and carry-on. It took awhile because my suitcase was stuffed with purchases and gifts, plus pillows and clothing and fabric.

The farmer texted us, wanting to deliver the butchered cow. We told him ok, not sure whee to put it. I made and ate breakfast. I went to the library to return Psych and get the next season. When I got back, I laid down in the bedroom and eventually fell asleep. I slept right through the bovine delivery.

When I got up, Chris showed me the boxes in the garage which would not fit in the freezer. I texted with Michelle and she said her husband was in town and could pick up a freezer at Home Depot. I looked it up and there was one available for $219. She asked him to bring one home. I checked the ice pile in the back yard and it was half melted so we must have had some warm days.

Chris made steaks and rice noodles. I opened the mail, and recycled what I could. We ate some for supper. I worked on my blog. I worked on e-mail. At 8, I made tea and we watched season 7 of Psych, the first two episodes. Afterward, we plugged in the new small freezer and filled it with the leftover beef. Then Chris went to bed and I stayed up to find the charging dock for the mp3 headphones, and tie up a few loose ends.

No comments: