Tuesday, June 28, 2011

More fabric, more rain

I woke up to a surprise. When getting an outfit from my closet, I found a pair of eyes staring at me from a dark corner. That startled me. When I regained my calm, I shooed Rusty from my closet and he fled to the bathroom and jumped out the window. You know, the window to the north porch. I got a call from one person who couldn't come today, and then rushed out of the apt to the commissary. I met a group of women from the quilt group who were all going to Happy Quilt's new warehouse. It was almost 10 when we got there. The packets which are normally $6, were $4 today. The fabrics on the roll were $2 a yard. What fun we had going through all the fabrics! Of course, I need more fabric like I need a hole in my head. I must need a hole in my head 'cause I bought a lot more fabric. But not record-breakingly so. Mr. Kahn then led me back to his 'other' warehouse. I had heard it was off-limits, but he made an exception for me. Of course I had to have Cathy and Mary come, too. So we all got a little more. You should have seen the pile we got for the guild, too. Thank heavens Mary drove. Although the new location is 'near' a subway station, we could not have dragged our personal purchases and our guild purchases home on the subway. When we got back, Cathy and Mary ran some fabric errands while I went home to get a recharged phone battery (our realestate agent called to say a man would come over at 5 to change our internet service provider). That was enough to kill the phone. I met Cathy at the AnC center with my dahlia quilt. We had to add strips to the backing so there would be enough to grab on the sides. Having bought designs digitized for a dahlia quilt was great, but it did not come with a design for the corners. So we experimented with a few before deciding on a cross-hatch. It turned out to be inconsequential because the quilting didn't show at all. Luckily it did on the dahlia petals. Bob and Mary Ann stopped by to chat. Bob complained about all the drama involved in watching us quilt. But he couldn't make up his mind whether it was better than watching grass grow. At 8:30 we called it quits for the night. Everybody went home. It started to rain. Chris came to get me and carry my heavy bag of fabric. Having had very little to eat all day, I had some leftover bison, then sat at my computer to check e-mail. I want to make Chris a sandwich, but didn't have time to make another loaf of bread. I also want to make a yo-yo for the center of the dahlia quilt so I can cut out the seam-heavy center. I also want to go to bed. So the plan is to make a loaf of bread, go to bed, then get up early to make the sandwich and the yo-yo center.

1 comment:

Carri said...

Hello! We just moved here to Camp Humphreys and I would love to locate this quilting shop!! Could you help me, please? Thank you!