Friday, June 3, 2011

Saturday May 28th



I packed last night after posting to my blog. Deciding what to take (or not) was hard. I recharged my batteries and the MP3 player.
I got up this morning at 7, showered, ate, and added a few things to my pack. We drove to the DHL, and got a taxi to Gimpo airport. It was a good thing that Chris sat up front with the taxi driver, because I couldn't understand what the driver was saying. He was the most reasonable Korean taxi driver I have ever met. He even complained about the crazy Korean drivers we encountered. The day was hazy and warm. Gimpo turned out to be a very modern airport, but not nearly as large as Incheon. We checked some of our luggage, went through security, and found gate 10. I did some Sudoku for awhile, and then we moved to closer seats. That is where I met Leslie. She recognized me from the thrift shop. I invited her to our next sewing class. As luck would have it, we were seated next to each other on the plane. We talked during the one hour flight to Jeju island. In the parking lot we found a shuttle bus labeled "Hertz". It is an office for renting cars. Chris rented a large black Opirus. We think it is a chauffeur car 'cause you can recline the back seats, and control the radio and AC from there. Chris brought his GPS system, so he set it up, and plugged in the hotel's phone number. It took 45 minutes, and I saw lots of things to do along the way. The hotel turned out to be a HUGE 5-star hotel. It was beautiful inside and out. It was too early to check in, so we went to the lounge eating area. They offered light meals and tea. But it was horribly expensive. Cecily ordered the tea 'set'. We shared that amongst the 4 of us. Then we went back to check in and get keys. The walk to our room was long and seemed to get longer every time I had to walk it. It took 12 corridors to get there. But it was a very nice room. The toilet seat was heated. And it had a beautiful view from the balcony, so I took pics. We settled in, then went for a walk in the landscaped courtyard.
We walked all the way around to the front, and stopped at the concierge desk for maps and brochures. We rested from our walk. I( did Sudoku on the balcony while others checked out the restaurants in the hotel to see which one we should choose for supper. At 6 we went to the western restaurant, because the Korean and Japanese ones were soo expensive. Still, the meal was over $200. I ordered the seafood plate with abalone. Everything was outstanding! We decided that we would have the leftover bread for breakfast tomorrow so we could head out early. I walked to the 7-11 to see if they had hard-boiled eggs, and they did. But no cheese like Cecily wanted. On the way back, we stopped at the bakery stand in the hotel. They didn't have anything we wanted. We went back to our rooms (too far). I worked a Sudoku puzzle, brushed my teeth, and wrote down my blog entry. Then I tried the bidet. The seat was heated, but the water wasn't. What an eye opener! Chris turned up the temp for the water, and then I went to bed.

No comments: