Thursday, June 9, 2011

May 27th in Jeju

awoke slowly, trying to hold onto my dream. But eventually it slipped away, to be forgotten, like most dreams do. Then a noise caught my attention. It was 8:17. Chris took a shower, and then Al invited us over to their room for breakfast. So I stepped into the shower with Chris. After we dressed, we went over. Chris and Cecily ate bread. Al had a muffin and I ate the two hard-boiled eggs. They tasted a little funny 'cause they were cooked over coals and smelled like woodsmoke. I walked out on the balcony to feel the temp. It was warm except for the breeze. After brushing our teeth, we went to the car. Chris used the GPS to look for the horse show that someone had recommended. The phone number was misleading, but Chris found it anyway. We missed the first few minutes, but enjoyed the rest. I took pictures and movie clips of the whip tricks, horse acrobatics, and then the re-enactment of some great conflict involving Temujen. The sound track had very dramatic music and the sounds of clashing swords. It was narrated in Korean only. Some of the actors waited outside while the crowd took pictures. Chris took a pic of me with one of the Mongolian horsemen. Surprisingly, he spoke English. Then we made our way to a tourist information center. They told Chris where to find a good restaurant. We went there, and ordered two pots of soup. It was excellent, and I think we could have done with only one. I took pics of the rock garden outside. Next we visited a beach. I did some walking with my feet bared and took pics until my batteries died. Finally we went to a botanical garden that included caves and animals like ostriches, and peacocks. I bought new batteries in the gift shop. I took pics of the only lava and limestone cave in the world. Although we stopped at the Glass Castle on the way home, we were too tired to explore it so decided to save it for another day. We went back to the hotel and our room. It took so long to get to our room, that I didn't have the energy to retrace our steps to go to the courtyard. So I stayed in and did a new kind of Sudoku puzzle that has no numbers in it. At 6 we went to supper. This time the waiter brought me a 'pedestal' to put my purse on, resting beside me. I am not sure why. We had a light meal and two bottles of wine. Chris and I left his parents there and walked to 7/11 for hard-boiled eggs. They had moved them so I had to search. I saw a package of two Jeju oranges for 5000 won. Seemed a little pricey to me. We went back to our room and Cecily returned my purse. I had left it with her to carry the leftover wine back to her room. We had the sliding glass door open so we could hear the dragon show. I leaned out near the end to see the dragon head spout fire and lower beneath the water. I finished a 12x12 Sudoku, wrote my blog by hand, and went to bed.

No comments: