Thursday, June 2, 2011

Zippered pouch class

Woke up on time. Alarm did its job. Since Cecily wasn't up yet (she usually is), I tiptoed around getting breakfast ready. Then I spent some time cleaning my inbox. I showered, dressed, and prepared a sheet of directions and photos for class tonight. I had a little trouble getting it to print out, but eventually I was victorious. Then I headed over to the thrift shop. On the way Maryann called and asked if I could pick her up at the pet center. So I did, and then we went by Moyer rec to get some stuff out of her car. She was giving me her in-line skates, and cans of pineapple ('cause she's moving). I dropped her off at DHL, and then arrived at the thrift shop. There were books everywhere: inside, outside, in the aisles, etc. I dug right in, but people kept chatting with me. It was hard to make a dent 'cause more would come in from outside. Finally the bookroom was full. So I had to take a large box of old books OUT of the bookroom to make space. And still we had boxes left over for charity. Another volunteer helped with the videos and DVD's. I meant to leave at 2, but worked until 3:45. And STILL, we didn't finish them all. But we did make a dent. I was too tired to go over to the organic market like I had planned. So I sat on the grass and read a book that I bought this afternoon about happiness. So far it says that we spend our present moments doing things that will make a better life for our future selves, but our future selves rarely appreciate all our hard work, and often wonder what we were thinking. At 4:30 I went home. Michele was already there. That is when I remembered that I had to teach class tonight. So I checked my e-mail to see how many kits I needed, and only two had been requested. I cut those, and two more (just in case) and one for me to demonstrate on. I did not have time to cook the bison that I had defrosted for supper. After Chris came home, I left for post. But I had to come back 'cause I had forgotten my model. I arrived later than I had planned. I started setting up, and others arrived and helped. However, the lady that had requested the class did not show up. And I specifically asked her last week if this week was convenient for her and she said it was. Oh well. Those who came had a good time and almost everyone finished their zippered pouch. I sold all four kits AND the one I planned to use as a demo. Three girls showed up again, and made two pouches between them. One plans to make the purse next week, but I think it is beyond her. But she wouldn't accept that.
We packed up and said goodbye to Melanie, who has taught a number of the classes in the past. She leaves on Saturday. We will miss her. Then Heidi followed me home 'cause she wants me to give her lessons. I am glad she mentioned it because I had totally forgotten. We exchanged phone numbers in the parking deck. Then she left and I went to the apt. Cecily had saved some food from supper. I ate that while the others watched "Invictus". Then I sat and watched too. And now it is time to blog and say goodnight.
* Here are some pics from the Glass Castle *

No comments: