Monday, November 14, 2011

Going to Richmond

After I posted last night, I went to the VMIS system to certify volunteer hours. But there were none. Then I realized that it wasn't the 15th yet. So I entered my own hours and logged out. I had a hard time sleeping. The hideabed in the hotel room was not comfortable. But I must have slept some, because I only heard Cecily get up once, and she said she got up three times. And I heard the train go through at 4am. The three of us were ready and in the car by 9. We drove for about 2.5 hours and stopped at a Cracker Barrel for lunch. Then we got back on the road, stopping at almost every rest area on the way to Chester, Va. At Al and Cecily's house, we unpacked the car, and I called my Dad. He was out taking my mom for a walk. Al, Cecily and I stopped by the convenience store for a jar of kimchi, seen here. Hope it lasts 2 weeks. Al would not let me carry it with me in the Caddy. He put it in the trunk, double-bagged. He said eating kimchi in his Caddillac was out of the question! We took 288 to the Woolridge exit which pretty much goes straight to my parents' neighborhood. They were home. We brought all my stuff in. William stopped by after work to say 'hello'. My dad fixed supper for Mom and himself. I went to the Fresh Market for some organic foods and ended up at Goodwill before being driven home. My parents weren't finished eating, so I ate with them. Dad had the TV on so loud that it gave me a headache. Mom wanted him to get out the watermelon for dessert, but it was out-dated and slimy. I told her about the article in Seoul magazine. She wanted to see it, so I tried to open my blog with my laptop, but could not connect to the internet. I even called Chris and he had nothing to add to what I had already tried. Finally I used the laptop on Dad's desk. But the article was too small to read. Then I remembered that I had downloaded the pic onto my computer, and that I could enlarge it. So Dad was able to read it, but Mom could not. So I read it to her. Then it was time for them to go to bed. As Dad settled Mom in for the night, I took a pic of the kimchi and wrote this post.
I forgot to mention yesterday that I thought of Michele a lot. We ate at the Cracker Barrel built on the old Evans Middle school site where she attended 6th grade, and everyone at church remembered her and asked where she was.

No comments: