Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Reading

After posting last night, I pulled the laundry out of the dryer and folded it. I wanted to listen to my ipod, but it was dead, so I plugged it into my laptop and got out the mp3 player. I listened to that for awhile in bed, but that music is much livelier than what is on the Ipod. Eventually I fell asleep. Mom was just starting breakfast when I got up. Dad was arranging her pills. So we ate together. After breakfast I fixed another pair of Dad's jeans. Mom read me several pages of her book, and then I read her several more. I had to change some of the words and wondered just what kind of book it was. She said she got it from the library, but it was not catalogued in any way. So I got out one of "The Cat Who.." books. I read her a chapter and she said it wasn't interesting. I asked her what kind of book she would like. She wanted a book about Amish life. We did not have any, but I did have a book about Sarai, Abrams' wife. Now that she found interesting. I read as much as I could, and then passed the book to her. Dad drove the Olds to the mechanic and walked back, in the rain. Then he started cutting up apples for lunch, so I got out celery, and lettuce for juicing. It wasn't enough so I went frig-diving and found spinach and peppers. I fed Mom her juice, and drank mine. Then I cleaned the juicer and put away the unused spinach. We ate lunch. After lunch we read a little more. Dad got a call that the Olds was ready, so he took Mom in the K car to drop it off with the mechanic, pick up the Olds and go to the fitness center. I stayed behind to finish my e-mail and sit outside for a bit. The ground was wet, but I was able to sit barefoot listening to an interview on the internet. Soon after I went in, William came by to tell me there were two crockpots at the Goodwill. So I went over there and bought one. Mom and Dad were eating supper when I returned. I ate, too, and then boiled a dozen organic eggs for future meals. Then we prepared to go to choir practice. It was raining hard. We got damp getting there. Dad walked Mom from the car to the church to avoid getting the wheelchair wet. She and I sat in the front row while the choir practiced. We each had something to read. When it was over, several members came over to talk to Mom and me. When I ducked out to go to the restroom, I noticed a familiar-looking quilt top in the display case. I asked Mom about it, but Shirley waved me over. She explained that Mom had brought it in, but I could take it if I wanted. It was the one I put together for Mom last summer. Well, it looked fine there, in fact, I wanted to take a picture but got distracted. Shirley mentioned my purple quilt which is on the frame in the other room. She thought I should take it if my mother won't ever get back to quilting. But she is worried about disappointing my mom. So we decided that the frame needs to go back to the person who lent it to the church. Maybe I can free it on Sunday after church. Mom said she wants to quilt it for me, but I told her to pick something smaller. I am afraid her quilting days are over. Then we left in the rain. It was almost 10 when we arrived. Dad turned on the TV to see the weather and they announced a show on the subject of string theory, so he sat and watched it. It was very interesting. When it was over, we took Mom to the back and prepared her for bed. Then I came out to write this post.

No comments: