Friday, November 11, 2011

Going to Augusta


The alarm went off at 5:30. It was too dark to pack last night, so we got up early. Chris took a shower and I spent a few more minutes in bed. Then I took a shower and started packing. Chris checked his e-mail and I fixed breakfast so I could check my e-mail too. I got one from Mary with her phone number. That's good 'cause my address book got packed in HHG so I don't have any phone numbers. It was about 8 when we headed out. We passed a sign for Cathedral Caverns, so I told Chris we should go see it sometime. There were lots of cow pastures. We exited Alabama and wound our way through Tennessee and Georgia to Atlanta. When we got through Atlanta, I called Mary, but only got her answering service. When we got to BelAir road, I called again, but with no luck. Chris knew the way to Neal's house, so we got there with no trouble. We met their daughter Emmy who is almost 2 and very cute. When Al and Cecily arrived at the hotel, we got word and drove over there. Later Mike and Kelly showed up, and then Neal and April. The 6 of us went to Carrabba's for Mike's birthday (even though it was last week). It seemed impolite to mention that I had a vow never to go there again, so I went along. We were told it would be a 30 minute wait but we waited for an hour, even though we called ahead. They moved a sports party of 20+ ahead of us, which did not improve my opinion of them. We were finally seated in the back. We ordered. While we were waiting, we had a good time chatting amongst the lot of us. Emmy was being cute fishing for ice cubes in her water. When the food came, it was better than bulldog slobber, or a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, as Chris would say. Emmy finally had enough, and they left to take her home to bed. Al insisted on paying for everyone. When we got back to the hotel, Mike and Kelly were waiting for us, having left with Neal and April. So we all sat in the hotel room, chatting like old times. Cecily, who insisted that she doesn't read my blog, was well lubricated from the restaurant and had another drink in her hand. She was very entertaining, and Kelly played along with her. It was good to see Kelly having so much fun. Sometimes I worry about her health, but she seemed really good. It was lots of fun, but Chris was worn out from the drive, and since we were staying with Neal and April, we thought we should get back before it got too late. I wanted to post to my blog, but Neal couldn't find his network password. He thinks a certain young lady might have been involved in its disappearance. So I tried to use April's computer, but remembered the password incorrectly. Then Chris found a nearby network that was not password protected. But my computer wouldn't connect, at least not until I rebooted my computer (I am so looking forward to getting back to XP). So here it is, such as it is. And as a certain someone will note, I did manage to work the phrase 'bulldog slobber' into this post.

1 comment:

Gail said...

Wow, Fern! Kelly MUST have been feeling well--you managed to get a picture of her!! I love it!
And yay for bulldog slobber!
How nice you could all celebrate Michael's birthday together. :-)