Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Hunting houses in Huntsville




Yesterday I looked for houses on the internet. This morning I passed those mls numbers on to the real estate agent so she could tell me the square footage (you'd think it would be in the public listing, but it wasn't). When the maid came, I told her there was nothing to do here. When the agent sent me the sq for my list, I paired it down to my favorite 5 and sent that list back to her. We arranged to meet at one of the houses at 1pm. A little after 11 I sat outside in the sun and grass reading e-mail and listening to some Beethoven. It amazes me that the weather is warm enough in the middle of the day to be barefoot in November. Chris came home from work for lunch. After lunch we punched in the address of the first house and the GPS guided us there. That house wasn't much to look at. It needed repairs, and it looked like someone was in the middle of doing them. Still, the real estate agents kept saying we would be happier elsewhere. So they took us to see another house on my list. This one was better, but still old, and the back yard was so covered in vines that you couldn't see the ground. Lots of dead wood, and branches. It had major foundation issues, which was probably why it was for rent and not for sale. The agent moved us on to the next house. It was much nicer. And the yard was neatly mown and partially fenced. Still, it was 20 years old, and had the dark wood trim in each room and the kitchen. The view of the mountain from the front of the house was a big plus. It had one tree, in the front yard. It was the nicest thing we'd seen so far and we were tempted to take it. On the other hand, we don't have any furniture yet and Chris wondered if we were looking too soon. Finally we went to a 4th house. This one really caught my eye. It was an older home on 5 acres, with a horse barn and pasture. Men were inside replacing some of the flooring. It had 2 bedrooms on the main floor and three in the finished basement. Lots of room space and storage space. It even had a small cinderblock tornado room. Did I mention the deck that runs the length of the house? But it is at the top of our price range and may not be good on utilities. Then again, it isn't ready yet, and neither are we. Our agent had to leave then, so we wandered a bit more, and then went home. Chris immediately left with the dirty laundry. He said he didn't need me, so I stayed behind to google the last house and see what the property lines were. I could not find them anywhere. Sadly, I forgot that I was supposed to meet K. T. to get a ride to the quilter's meeting. I felt really bad when I realized it. When Chris got back from doing laundry, he drove me to the meeting. I had missed most of it, but enjoyed what was left. The ladies were friendly and seemed to be interested in doing the same kinds of things that I like. Afterward, I stayed to talk to the lady who seemed to be in charge. She showed me the Ricky Timms kaleidoscope quilt that they will be working on next Saturday. It looked very interesting. When we got home, Chris and I had supper. Then we folded the laundry. He went to bed and I stayed up to post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun day...Exploring and getting to know people and places. AL from CA.