Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mending and other chores



When I got up, Mom and Dad had almost finished breakfast. Mom was waiting for a pill to go down. I fixed my breakfast and ate. After breakfast, Dad brought me a pile of mending: jeans and socks. I also checked e-mail and opened a box of supplements that arrived yesterday. It wasn't too long before Dad started making lunch because it takes him so long. While he was doing that, I juiced up a head of broccoli, a bag of carrots and some celery. We each had a small glass of juice. When he had finished cutting up the apples and made Mom and himself sandwiches, we sat down to eat. I added kimchi to our meals. After lunch I took Mom outside to sit in the fresh air. She had a hard time walking there. Dad had to teach me the trick of shifting her weight for her by pushing down on the shoulder opposite the leg she should step with. I remember as a child, having a doll that would walk under the same conditions. As she sat outside, I swept the leaves off the deck. Then, just for something to do, I cleaned out as much rain gutter as I could reach from the picnic table. Dad walked to Fresh Market for a squash. When he got back, he decided to take Mom for a walk. As we left, Kevin arrived. So I stayed behind for a bit to talk to Kevin. But I had no trouble catching up to Mom and Dad. Their pace was quite slow. They walked up and down the street in front of the house. Then we brought her in. I sat and sewed and Kevin cooked and cleaned. When I finished, I went outside to help my Dad rake leaves. We came in when it got dark. Kevin was done cooking enough casseroles to last a week. Then Dad took a walk. When he got back, he started fixing supper. Should have taken 5 minutes, but it was agonizingly slow and he wouldn't let me help because he was so used to doing it himself. I started a load of laundry. My friend Mary called, and we had a nice chat. Finally we sat down to eat. Dad had the news on. Then some documentary came on, and I helped Mom finish her meal as he sat in front of the TV. When 8 pm came, I wanted to watch BBT, but he was still watching the documentary. So I tried the TV in the living room, but it would not pick up any digital channels. No converter box. I sat at the laptop to check e-mail, and it occurred to me that I could watch BBT on the CBS website. Yes! Then I put the laundry in the dryer. After a couple of episodes, I checked on the dryer and gave it more time. Dad got out his Alabama and Tennessee maps, and we discussed routes and elevations. The dryer had finished, but needed more time. So I will check it again when I finish this post. Dad took Mom to bed.
* Sorry, didn't take any pics today and don't have access to my bevy of quilt pics on this laptop. *

No comments: