Sunday, September 16, 2012

Carrot cake

I got up early thinking I might be late for Sunday School. Chris was on his computer, never having gone to bed. What a game that must be! It was before 7 and I didn't sleep well last night so I went back to bed for awhile. Chris woke me around 7:20. When I did get up, I made breakfast, read e-mail, and took a shower. I was prepared to go to Sunday School by myself, but Chris got ready too, and came with me. He chatted with others and read a book while I readied my craft table, attended the opening and led the craft. The lady in charge of today's group of students told me the craft went well, but I did not think so. The thread we used to tie on the lids got tangled in so many ways. And the loops moved off the stick onto the string. That never happened to mine, but I guess I was more careful. So I need to revamp the entire project. Tamara suggested making grooves on the stick for the thread loops to settle in, but I can't see how to do that without risking breaking the stick. The tongue depressors are not very strong. I'd like to use yarn, but the holes are too small. I'd have to have a really big nail (or a drill press). I cleaned up the area by the time church started, packing the windchimes in a box for fixing later. I guess they will pick them up next Sunday. As we neared the sanctuary, an old man was handing out bulletins. Chris left to go to the bathroom. The old man took the opportunity to hug me and plant a big wet kiss on my cheek. I fled into the pews. This guy must think I look like someone he knows. Our intern gave the sermon today. After church we went to Publix for groceries. The pastor had asked Chris if he could visit us tomorrow at 6:30. We discussed what we should feed him, settling on drinks and dessert. I suggested carrot cake since I know Chris really likes it. We did not have a recipe with us, so we bought what we thought we needed as plan A and a cake mix as plan B. When we got home, we put groceries away and changed clothes. I took a nap. Chris joined me later. I got up while he was sleeping and read a little e-mail and watered my plants. I also looked up several carrot cake recipes. I found one we had the ingredients for. Then Chris got up to make supper. When he was done, I got out carrots to scrape and shred. I also beat the eggs before starting the recipe. I mixed it all together and put it in a greased glass cake pan. It went into the oven. While it baked, I cleaned up all the carrot-encrusted utensils and ate my salad, worked a few Sudoku puzzles, and watched TV. I was ready to go downstairs, but Chris reminded me that the cake was still baking. Oops. When it came out, Chris let it cool for a few minutes, then covered it with plastic to keep the bugs out of it while we watched NCIS, which was our next activity. Now he's in bed and I'm wishing I had taken some pics today.
I forgot to mention yesterday that I got a drop of blueberry juice in my white shirt. I washed it in the sink immediately but all it did was spread. Chris suggested lemon juice in the sun, but there wasn't any last night. Well, guess what? There wasn't any today either, not really.
* Ok, this is not carrot cake, but I never got to post this pic so here it is. This is the roast with all the yummy red meat in the center. *

No comments: