Friday, September 21, 2012

Dancing

I got up early, around 7.  I read only a few e-mails before starting the cake.  I whipped up the carrot cake mix that we bought last weekend.  While it baked, I exercised and read e-mail, then fixed two bowls of breakfast: one for today and one for tomorrow.  I left the cake to cool on the stove top.  I went to Hobby Lobby to get stickers for Sunday School.  I did not find the fruit ones, but did find party stickers.  I figured that went best with the story of the Prodigal Son.  HL was all out of fatted calf stickers.  I had to walk by the fabric department.  Had to.  It called out to me.  I bought some that I thought would go with my current project.  HL had a coupon online but I couldn't print it out so I took a pic of it with my camera.  The cashier wasn't sure that was acceptable, but the manager gave it the ok.  When I got back, the sun was shining, so I put on my suit and laid out in the sun.  I brought my phone with me, and thank goodness, 'cause Doris called to say she was out in the driveway.  She was over half an hour early.  I gave her a trowel to dig up irises and went inside to change into regular clothes.  We picked three bags of irises from different parts of the yard.  She also got some four o'clock seeds.  After she left, frosted the cake, finished e-mail and worked on preparing for Sunday.  I sawed grooves into tongue depressors,, pounded holes in lids, and tied embroidery floss loops on clothespins.  I put everything into my car to make sure it comes with me on Sunday.  I did some sewing of black corners, and laid a few blocks on the pink I just bought to see how it looked.  Chris came home early.  He bought drinks.  I took a shower and dressed for the party.  We carried the cake and drinks to the car.  He entered the address into the GPS and we were on our way.  One of his coworkers was having a party for one retiring woman and a deploying man.  People came with finger foods and more drinks.  There was dancing and picture-taking and toasting.  The host is engaged so most of the women went off to discuss her wedding plans.  I talked to Phyllis and convinced her that she needed to learn quilting while her husband is deployed.  Far later than we intended, we said our goodbyes.  It was after 11 when we got home and I have to get up at 6 for a trip to an expo in Birmingham. 

No comments: