Sunday, September 2, 2012

Saucer blocks

I woke up in the guest room when Chris' alarm went off. I stumbled out to the kitchen for breakfast and a quick glance at e-mail. I keep a shot glass of almonds in water soaking overnight for the next day's breakfast. This morning one of the almonds had teeth marks on it, and the water level was low. I think the mouse had a snack in the middle of the night. I put a small bowl over tomorrows almonds. After breakfast I took a shower and dressed for church. As we pulled out of the carport, Chris said "Goodbye Mr. Stinkbug". There was a bug clinging to the windshield. Apparently he likes windsurfing because he made it all the way to church. Due to the holiday, there was only one service and it was at 9:30. The pastor related several very funny anecdotes. One was about a child seeing Big Bird take off his suit. The child stood very still for a moment, then wondered if Big Bird knew there was a man inside of him. The children on Sesame Street saw
the puppets as real. Well, on the way out we had to tell the pastor how Michele saw a puppet show in a church service when she was very small. After the skit was over, she burst into the aisle shouting "Wake up, puppets!", much to the chagrin of her shy mother. (Sorry, Michele, but it's a great story)
When we exited the church, it was raining heavily. William called yesterday to see what bad weather we got from the hurricane and we hadn't had any at the point, but we got it today. We went to the grocery store anyway. Mr. Stinkbug was gone. After the store, we went home to put the food away and change clothes. Then we went to Home Depot. We got a broom (mine is always upstairs when I need to sweep downstairs and vice versa), lightbulbs, car washing supplies, and a propane tank. We are thinking of grilling steaks for Labor Day, and I have been advised to have gas on hand in case the electricity goes out during tornado season. I spent the afternoon sewing together the pieces on my table. The blocks remind me of flying saucers. I could hear the tornado sirens wailing in the distance. They could not stop me from sewing. However, I was gratified hours later when Chris called me up for supper and the upstairs was still there. Some times I concentrate so hard I might miss such an occurrence. Finally we got enough rain that I don't have to water the plants. I stood just outside the door to breathe in the purified air. Then we ate Chris' wonderful aromatic pork roast. Later we rounded out the evening with more episodes of MASH. I even had enough energy left to post the days events.

No comments: