Saturday, September 22, 2012

Sewing Expo and smart phones

The day was both less and more than I expected.  I got up at 6 and was on the road by 6:45.  Initially I was worried that I would be late, but then my intuition told me that we would be waiting on someone else.  And I was right.  Deb got lost and arrive about 7:15.  I was standing on the wrong porch knocking on the door.  She showed me the right one.  Amanda and I got in Deb's van and we drove to Cracker Barrel to pick up Jen and Eli and to meet Rebecca and Cass.  We drove to Birmingham in two cars.  Silly me assumed that the people who have been here longer than I have knew where they were going.  Ha.  But, having a car full of people with smart phones meant that we couldn't get but so lost.  We arrived before 10 so we had to wait for it to open. Deb had 6 free admissions so we all got in free except for Cass and we each gave her some money.  I was glad we did not pay the full $10 admission.  The room we entered was like a vendor area.  There were a few quilts hung along one wall - maybe 10. We agreed to meet at 11:30 at the door.  Well, as it was a small room compared to the exhibition hall at Paducah, it did not take me long to view the vendors.  I bought an odd shaped ruler called Perfect Piecer.  I also signed up for a magazine subscription.  Deb tried out all the longarms to see what she liked.  Others bought hand-dyed fabrics and notions.  Jen got add-ons for her longarm.  At 11:30 we met and decided to go to Ruby Tuesdays for lunch.  We all piled in Deb's van for the trip.  We got entrees that came with the salad bar.  It was an ok salad bar, but not the freshest.  By the time we got back to the quilt and sewing expo, it was 2pm.  Having seen it all already, I sat in a group a chairs in front of a stage.  A woman came out to give a talk about stabilizers and when to use which one.  I fell asleep at least 4 times during her talk.  I was in the back row so I don't think she could see me.  After the talk I walked around to see where my friends were.  I only found a few.  I sat out in the hall to wait, and maybe nap.  A lady sitting there struck up a conversation, which lasted until the rest of my group arrived.  Eli took our picture in front of an ad for the expo.  Then we walked back to our cars.  Rebecca and Cass left first, planning to stop at Whole foods and World Market on the way back.  The rest of us just went back to Huntsville.  BUT after we dropped Eli and Jen at Cracker Barrel, Deb wanted to go to Jo-anns.  It was next to Earth Fare which is where I secretly wanted to go.  So we went.  When I finished buying raw cheese and almonds, I join her and Amanda at Jo-anns.  I did not buy anything, but Amanda looked up Teflon mats on her smart phone to see where the best deal was.  We left there for Amanda's house.  BUT on the way we passed Hancocks having a blow-out sale.  Deb stopped in for some dachshund fabric and I found some green bean fabric.  Amanda used her smart phone to get me 50% off.  Then we went to Amanda's house where I picked up my car and came home.  It was nearly 8 and Chris was playing with the voices.  He had obviously been busy too.  There were two baskets of laundry and the bed had been made up with clean sheets.  He had washed the towels, too.  I ate supper, rinsed the soaking quinoa, and read e-mail.  When the game was over, Michele called me on skype and we talked for 23 minutes.  Chris went to bed, but I stayed up to post the day's events.

No comments: