Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A most interesting day

It has been a most interesting day. It started out normally, but when I boiled water for my breakfast, the burner bowl burst into flame. It was a grease fire. I'd never had one before so I searched my brain for data. All I could come up with 'don't throw water on it'. But I had no info on what TO do. Sand came to mind, but I didn't have any at hand. So I beat it with the dishcloth. It did not put out the flames, but kept them low until the fuel was spent. I did not take any pics for obvious reasons. The fire alarm went off very loudly. It took me a while to find a way to turn it off. The house was full of smoke, but it cleared. I read e-mail for a bit and listened to some audios. Then I cleaned the bathroom, and cleared clutter in the diningroom, kitchen, den and livingroom. I even used the vacuum. At noon I ate lunch and sat outside where I could read e-mail on my tablet. I did more tapping than reading. About 1:20 a van pulled up. It was Julie bringing her serger. She thought she needed help getting it to work, but it was already threaded and ready to go. Bob came over while she was here. He brought me a drawer for the kitchen, then went into the garage to see where the water was coming from. He called me to come and see. He showed me a bowed part of the ceiling in the basement bathroom. When he pushed on it, it sloshed. Apparently when the water comes in, it has to fill the ceiling first and then it runs into the garage, thus delaying the evidence until after the rain has stopped. Bob climbed up on the roof and discovered that all the rubber vent collars are rotten. ALL of them. He left, promising to replace them before the next rain. Now for the bathroom ceiling which seems to be several joined pieces of shower enclosure, IF you made a small hole in the bubble, you could sit on the toilet and shower at the same time. Quite the time-saver, eh? I returned to Julie, who was sewing along in my absence. We got to talking and discovered we had a lot in common. She left about 4:30. I plugged in the paraffin bath to see how long it took to heat today. I tried to get on the internet with my laptop, but it would not cooperate, even though it showed as connected with a strong signal. So I had to use the tablet. I made myself a large salad for supper. Chris came home and made his own supper. Finally my laptop was working again. I read Amazon reviews about the paraffin bath and most of them said it took 2 hours to melt the wax. So I wrote to the seller to ask for a partial refund. After all, I can still use the wax. Later we watched a few Sherlock Holmes episodes. It was a British version, set in old London. None of the actors were familiar to me. When we came up, I checked e-mail one last time and found that the lady who sold me the paraffin bath had issued me a full refund and an apology. I felt sorry for her because she must have lost money on the postage if nothing else. * Here is a pic of the scarf I finished yesterday *

No comments: